#1 Matt Kemp

Matt Kemp
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:21 PM

Forgive my ignorance on this, but can someone explain to me the difference between having a telecine and getting the film scanned (a D.I.)? Is there a difference?
I'm shooting a budget short on super8, and am looking for the most cost effective way to get my film digitised. I'm wondering (again, forgive my ignorance), if the only real difference between these two options is the final format, either 10-bit uncompressed on a hard drive, or on a Digibeta/BetaSP tape..
As I mentioned, I'm working on a budget, but at the same time I want the transfer done as well as possible, any advice or suggestions on techniques or post houses (ideally in London) very much appreciated.
Thanks

#2 tylerhawes

tylerhawes
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:39 AM

Telecine is a realtime transfer from film to videotape, or to data files with some systems (though less commonly done). Even though telecine systems cost much more than scanners, it tends to cost less to do because it is realtime while scanners are slow. The benefit of telecine is speed and cost. The cons are primarly that a scanner can get more detail off the film and is pin-registered.

The scanner images one frame at a time and is pin-registered. They can take up to several seconds per frame to scan, and therefore can cost several times more than telecine. In general, you telecine for dailies, but will only scan selects for DI.

If you're going Super 8, you should probably telecine. The extra detail of scanning is lost on Super 8. Even with 35mm, a lot of directors (like Scorcese) prefer a good 2K telecine to scanning for aesthetic reasons (the slight softness can flatter the image).

#3 Matt Kemp

Matt Kemp
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for that. Actually I found out this morning that my lab, ToddAO in London, as yet don't do 10-Bit scanning for S8, so that sort of decided it for me anyway.
Cheers

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies