#1 Colm Whelan

Colm Whelan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:42 AM

I am lighting a ship interior for a shoot soon. the director wants it quite murky as there are not windows and its a period piece. want to make it look like its lit by overhead lanterns that are seen in the shot. Its on hd. not allowed to use any naked flames as its a wooden ship. wondered if anyone knew of any fake candle or gaslight effects I could use in the lanterns and maybe some small softlights to attach to the lanterns away from camera so I cant see em in the shot. anyone use anything good recently?

thanks for your help

#2 Valerio Sacchetto

Valerio Sacchetto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Student
  • Italy

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:06 AM

the first thing that came to my mind: chinaball on a boompole (for soft ambient, key, whatever. it may flicker or not depending on your taste).

#3 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:15 PM

I would try stashing various small units around to simulate the glow of the lanterns. Small kinos, small fresnels with diffusion, even bare household bulbs shaded with blackwrap. Gel/dim everything to the same color.

Any small bulb can be used in the lanterns (shouldn't be too hard to hide the wire). If they're bright enough to give off any incident light they're going to clip on HD anyway, so it doesn't matter what they look like. If you don't want them to clip, you can obscure them a bit with a little Opal or Hampshire inside the glass shade (assuming they have a glass shade). Or "dirty up" the shade with black streaks-n-tips to emulate soot.

#4 Colm Whelan

Colm Whelan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:27 PM

thanks thinking of maybe using rosco panel lights or rosco light pads on the lanterns and using some dedos flagged with black wrap hanging out of shot.

#5 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:30 PM

I think you'll find you end up using all your tricks. There's never a single-unit solution for emulating light from sources in the frame. Especially with coverage, there always another little area you want to fill in or edge, so you end up breaking out more small units...

Tai Audio

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Opal