#1 David Calson

David Calson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Other
  • Georgia

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:25 AM

From googling, I know it's a light, possible only HMI, what makes it different from other lights, why the name?

#2 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:12 PM

From googling, I know it's a light, possible only HMI, what makes it different from other lights, why the name?

Yes, it is a low power-draw, medium output, flicker-free HMI, although I am not sure if they are square-wave HMI's (flicker-free at ALL camera speeds). The name Joker Bug is what the makers market it as. Some of the 800 model's best qualities are the spot to flood ratio of 55 to 1 and, particularly, the beam angle range from 5 to 45 degrees. These allow for wide ranging of choices when lighting a scene, depending what the DP is going for, so instead of having to use a couple of lights for different looks, chances are a single Joker will be enough to cover a lot of stylistic ground.

Also, they run on 12.5 amps, which will allow to plug it into standard three prong edison (house) outlets without blowing the fuses. They compare well with (bigger, heavier, more amp-draw) 3200-4000 quartz lamps in a small, versatile size that can be plugged into almost any available outlet.

Arri Sun 575/ 1200 HMI's are similar, but in my experience Jokers are a bit more versatile, although the Arri's are fine square-wave HMI's lights in their own right.

Edited by Saul Rodgar, 09 April 2008 - 12:15 PM.

#3 David Calson

David Calson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Other
  • Georgia

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:44 PM

thank you for that thorough explanation!

#4 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:19 AM

Hi Blade,

Jokers are made in 200, 400 and as Saul pointed out 800W versions. You can find all the info here: K5600 website.

Cheers, Dave

PS: Since this is a real name only board, I assume Blade is your REAL first name. If so: what a cool name you have!

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Visual Products