#1 Matt Kemp

Matt Kemp
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:33 PM

I have a Nizo 561, and want to be able to use filters to fit the 49mm thread. I machined a tool to let me unscrew the lens hood (a metal bar which fits into two small indentations in the inner collar of the hood), and I thought it would easily unscrew. However after doing three or four revolutions, and feeling like it's getting looser, it stiffens up and stops. I have applied some pressure to it, but it feels like it's somehow tightened again, and I don't want to force it.
I can't see a locking screw in the collar or anything like that.
Am I missing something, or has it just got jammed ny a piece of dirt or grit?
I've searched the web for any ideas, but I can't find anything. In fact in the five or so years I've been using a Nizo, I've never heard or seen anything about tools or techniques needed to get the hood off.
If anyone has successfully unscrewed a Nizo lens hood to allow use of the filter thread, any tips would be very helpful.
Cheers

#2 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:25 PM

It's been a while since I had a Nizo, but the hood removes normally like unscrewing a filter. By your method, you are probably unscrewing the outer retaining ring that holds the front element in place. I think the hood is just stuck. Is it metal or rubber? Try turning it by the edge only, while holding the focusing barrel firmly.

#3 Matt Kemp

Matt Kemp
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:49 PM

Mike,

Thanks for that, you were exactly right. I did of course try doing that first of all, and gave it a good old twist but with no luck. I guess it's that funny thing where you can't get something to work until someone tells you it definitely does work, and then.. It works.

Thanks again

CineTape

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Opal