Panayiotis Salapatas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Greece

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:22 AM

Hi all,

I just completed a short film with the Canon XLH 1 camera. It was shot at 25p in extremely low light situation and the shutter speed was set to 1/25. The film is intended for 35mm transfer. Has anybody had any experience with transferring material shot at 1/25 shutter speed and seen it projected?

Thank you
ps. I know about the image blur but could not find the difference that noticeable between 1/50 and 1/25

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:45 PM

ps. I know about the image blur but could not find the difference that noticeable between 1/50 and 1/25

The faster the movement on screen, the more noticeable it is. I think you'll find that most people can easily spot the difference.

For a filmout the added motion blur will tend to make the footage look more "video-ish" than film.

#3 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3054 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:12 PM

As long as you have no fast movement in the frame, you should be okay with motion blur.

For a filmout the added motion blur will tend to make the footage look more "video-ish" than film.

Actually, whenever I have to shoot interlaced video, I try to use a 1/25 shutter (where available) as the slight motion blur helps reduce the 'video' look

#4 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:49 PM

Actually, whenever I have to shoot interlaced video, I try to use a 1/25 shutter (where available) as the slight motion blur helps reduce the 'video' look

That's interlaced capture, which has different motion artifacts than progressive capture, especially when converting to progressive display.

#5 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:26 PM

I know about the image blur but could not find the difference that noticeable between 1/50 and 1/25

In that case, you should be fine. It sounds like you don't have a lot of fast movement, which is what reveals the shutter angle. What you have is the equivalent of a 360 degree shutter, which lets you shoot with no danger of skipping -- you get blur instead.

-- J.S.

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab