#1 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:29 PM

Hello all.

I'm looking to purchase a torque motor for the 400' mag I just bought off of eBay for my Arri S/B. I believe my V/S camera motor is a 12v motor and the torque motor I'm considering is an 8v motor. Since both need to run at the same time, I would need to convert the torque motor to a 12v, correct?

Just looking to clarify. Thanks.

#2 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:24 PM

Bill,

Almost all of the original Arriflex 16S camera motors ran on 8 volts. Your variable speed motor, if it is one of the ARRI ones, will run on 12 volts, whereas the constant speed motors will burn up on 12 volts. Same for the torque motors. The most common torque motors for the Arriflex 16S is designed to run on 8 volts. There were a very few 12 volt models made, but they are extremely rare and the ones I have seen have been labeled as 12 volt models.

Best bet is to send your 8 volt torque motor to Clive Tobin and have him convert it for you to 12 volts. He does this because his Arriflex 16S crystal sync motors all run on 12 volts.

Best,
-Tim

#3 Keneu Luca

Keneu Luca
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:28 PM

Hello all.

I'm looking to purchase a torque motor for the 400' mag I just bought off of eBay for my Arri S/B. I believe my V/S camera motor is a 12v motor and the torque motor I'm considering is an 8v motor. Since both need to run at the same time, I would need to convert the torque motor to a 12v, correct?

Just looking to clarify. Thanks.

Hi Bill

Yes you'd need the 12v conversion. Clive Tobin does it. He posts here all the time. He converted the torque motor for my Arri S.

By the way, I dont know if you recall, but you and I chatted briefly a while back as I was going to shoot some FDNY stuff with my Arri S. I never got to do the exact project I wanted, but I did shoot some test footage of my buddy. It was random test stuff, but after a while I managed to edit something together with it. It's not the best representation of 16mm or what the Arri S can do, but it's still watchable. I didnt do the best quality transfer, the lens was one of the old Angeniuex zooms (I've since acquired a Zeiss), and the film stock was about 12 years old.

Titled : "It's Just a Job, Right?"
Here's the link:
http://youtube.com/user/greatwareagle

#4 Keneu Luca

Keneu Luca
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:35 PM

I just realized Tim and I wrote our responses at the same time.

#5 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:44 PM

It's not the best representation of 16mm or what the Arri S can do, but it's still watchable. I didnt do the best quality transfer, the lens was one of the old Angeniuex zooms

Keneu,

If you want a really nice set of Cooke Kinetal primes for your Arri S, or if Bill is looking for the same, for only $999 you can have these:

Cooke Kinetal Prime Lens Set

They make beautiful images.

Posted Image

Best,
-Tim

#6 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:09 PM

Thanks, guys.

#7 Keneu Luca

Keneu Luca
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:46 PM

Bill, any luck?

I think I may need a new torque motor as well. A while back I created a post in which I noticed a "pin" from my torque motor was missing. I just searched for that thread but I cannot find it. But luckily Tim told me he could fix it. And he did. I sent my torque motor to him and he made an adjustment. He did a great job.

Well I dont know if that solved all of my problems. Or if a new problem has now arisen. It seems as though whenever I shoot with a full 400' mag, it jams about half way through. Which, I believe, is because the motor no longer pulls the remaining 200' or so load.

But of course Im not exactly sure what the problem is. This is my uneductaed guess.

I'd like to get a new (new to me, in better condition than the one I have) torque motor to tests it out. If the problem continues, then I know its in th camera.

By the way, Tim did a great job on my motor. He wasnt able to do a complete test because I only sent him the motor, not the camera. So he never got to see everything work together. Plus, like I said, this may be new unrelated problem.

Edited by Keneu Luca, 04 May 2008 - 11:48 PM.

#8 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:49 AM

Keneu,

If I remember correctly, the torque motor you sent me was in pretty rough shape. The problem you were having at the time was fixed, but what you are describing now sounds like the clutches in the motor are starting to slip.

The torque motors on the Arriflex 16S are literally that, they are motors that apply a certain level of torque to the spindles on the magazine. The motor does not directly drive the spindles, the drive is sent through clutches on the way from the motor to the spindles. They need to be adjusted properly so that they don't apply too much torque, thereby ripping the film to shreds, or two little torque, thereby not pulling the film. Sounds like your motor is no longer applying enough torque. Could be because of excessive slipping in the clutches, could be that the motor is not getting a full 8 volts from the camera and battery, or could be because the motor is just simply worn out.

Best,
-Tim

#9 Keneu Luca

Keneu Luca
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for the response Tim, as always.

I get the feeling that whenever someone posts for help about the Arri S - you get a Bat-Symbol sent above your house. Come on, you can tell me - you do, right?

So do you think you may be able to fix this new problem. I know you'd have to see the motor again - but if your instincts are right, and the clutch needs to be adjust for extra torque, can you make that adjustment? Or if they are slipping? Or perhaps I should just try to get a newer motor.

By the way, my motor has been converted by Clive for the 12 volts. This was done before I sent it to you.

Again, thanks.

#10 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:47 PM

So do you think you may be able to fix this new problem. I know you'd have to see the motor again - but if your instincts are right, and the clutch needs to be adjust for extra torque, can you make that adjustment? Or if they are slipping? Or perhaps I should just try to get a newer motor.

Keneu,

Like I mentioned, if I recall correctly the torque motor you had was pretty worn (again, I might be confusing your motor with another one I worked on, but I don't think so). I would look into trying to find one in better shape if you want to keep it for a while. If you are just trying to finish one project, then maybe repairing the one you have would be the way to go, but for the long haul, I think you might want to look for another one in better shape.

I am pretty booked right now, and may be closing the shop for the summer (as it looks like we are moving to Chicago), so I probably would not be able to look at it until fall.

Best,
-Tim

#11 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:38 PM

Bill, any luck?

I think I may need a new torque motor as well. A while back I created a post in which I noticed a "pin" from my torque motor was missing. I just searched for that thread but I cannot find it. But luckily Tim told me he could fix it. And he did. I sent my torque motor to him and he made an adjustment. He did a great job.

Well I dont know if that solved all of my problems. Or if a new problem has now arisen. It seems as though whenever I shoot with a full 400' mag, it jams about half way through. Which, I believe, is because the motor no longer pulls the remaining 200' or so load.

But of course Im not exactly sure what the problem is. This is my uneductaed guess.

I'd like to get a new (new to me, in better condition than the one I have) torque motor to tests it out. If the problem continues, then I know its in th camera.

By the way, Tim did a great job on my motor. He wasnt able to do a complete test because I only sent him the motor, not the camera. So he never got to see everything work together. Plus, like I said, this may be new unrelated problem.

I lost the auction on eBay a while ago, so I'm still looking. Thanks.

Is your mag still jamming?

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

CineTape