#1 anthony derose

anthony derose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Student
  • NYC

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:09 PM

If your overexposing your stock by a 1/3 of a stop, and lets says you go to an extreme of 3 1/2 over for effect. Does the printing back down the 1/3 stop bring it to the exposure as if you rated the stock at its manufacture EI?

To better explain my question, if your 3 1/2 over rating the stock 1/3 over that means your technically around about 3 2/3's over but does the printing down bring it back to the 3 1/2 you would get using the regular EI.

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:34 PM

1/3 stop overexposure + 3-1/2 stops overexposure = approx. 3-2/3 stops overexposure on the negative.

Printing that down 1/3 stop = 3-1/2 stops overexposed image.

#3 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:13 AM

If your overexposing your stock by a 1/3 of a stop, and lets says you go to an extreme of 3 1/2 over for effect. Does the printing back down the 1/3 stop bring it to the exposure as if you rated the stock at its manufacture EI?

To better explain my question, if your 3 1/2 over rating the stock 1/3 over that means your technically around about 3 2/3's over but does the printing down bring it back to the 3 1/2 you would get using the regular EI.

I have heard about people bringing than much over exposure down in the telecine suite, at least 3 stops. Technically you are a lot better off overexposing film than video/ HD which it will never recover detail lost to overexposure. I really don't know if you can get away with it unless you are looking for an extreme look. My guess is that your image would suffer enough went brought down in terms of contrast and saturation, but I guess you can find out me know once you have tried it. There is nothing like doing a test for something like that.
I know this has been discussed here before, try doing a search. I remember seeing stills of War of the Worlds if I remember correctly in the posts for that subject.

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

The Slider

Visual Products

Glidecam

CineTape

Metropolis Post