12 replies to this topic

#1 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:19 PM

Hi, filming a local event tomorrow, newsreel style, hopefully the light will be ok for either 16mm k40 or 7201. Trouble is i just cannot make my mind up which stock to choose. Basically event is to be filmed, then the film will be stored until one day it maybe of historical value. I want the sharpest film of the two with the best colour saturation. Please help, given a choice which stock would you people choose. ?

#2 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:29 PM

If its going to be stored for donkeys years Kodachrome is the one , but are you sure you can still get Kodachrome processed ?

#3 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:34 PM

If its going to be stored for donkeys years Kodachrome is the one , but are you sure you can still get Kodachrome processed ?

Hi, yeh Dwayne's process k/c. I did stock pile a couple of hundred rolls of k/c, simply as Dwayne's said they'll continue to process k/c for another 2 years at least... thanks for the reply

Edited by andy oliver, 11 April 2008 - 01:35 PM.

#4 Jim Carlile

Jim Carlile
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:10 AM

Has Dwayne's actually given a timeline?

#5 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:42 PM

Hi Jim, they said last year, processing would be good for 3 years, hence why i stockpiled 16mm k40, now stockpiling std 8mm k40.. And i did shoot k/c for the project:)

#6 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:47 AM

Probably too late, but K40 is sharper and much more fine-grained than 7201. It's also much more contrasty which helps gives it a more color saturated look. Greens do tend to appear more yellow with K40 though. I think it's great that you've stockpiled so much stock, wish I had done the same. I have an experimental filmmaker friend who has shot all of his films since the 60s on Kodachrome. I wonder what he'll do when his stockpile runs out!

#7 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1582 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

I worked on an archival project last year for the state of Massachusetts which included something like 30K/ft. of kodachrome from what must have been it's first years (1936?-45) all 16mm shot by the water department detailing the construction of the reserviors and water supply to the city of Boston. All the Kodachrome looked like it was shot yesterday, practically no degradation, I would suspect that the 100yr. estimated life for K40 is a big underestimate if stored correctly. And it was all beautiful too BTW, the 1930's-40' in better than HD! As other have stated Dwaines is still running it...

-Rob-

#8 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:46 AM

I have an experimental filmmaker friend who has shot all of his films since the 60s on Kodachrome.

Forgot to add: This friend contended that Kodachrome actually improves with aging in a cool, dark, and dry environment for 2-3 years before being shot. I didn't believe him until I tried it myself, but he was right - the colors of the aged stock were somehow creamier and more vibrant, lower contrast and richer in color. Very weird, but very cool.

I also agree with Robert - I've seen some really old Kodachrome, projected, from the 50s or so, footage of trains all over the US. It also looked amazingly fresh and vibrant, as if it had been shot recently. I believe that was K25, but I could be wrong.

Edited by Satsuki Murashige, 30 April 2008 - 02:50 AM.

#9 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:37 AM

i too have heard kodachrome improves with age, i'm shooting 2004 double super 8 k25, images are stunning. Rewinding, i've found that k25 ( daylight) stock produces a much better image, in term of sharpness, saturation, contrast etc, over 16mm k40. K25 was only bettered by kII. Back from the lab last week was 50ft of std 8 k25, exposed thru a bolex with 0.95 switar prime, images renderred look better than ANY current super 8 emulsions.

Edited by andy oliver, 30 April 2008 - 06:39 AM.

#10 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1582 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:09 AM

i too have heard kodachrome improves with age

It could have something to do with how Kodachrom works, it is essentially three B+W color filtered emulsions which have color dyes added in processing, much like three strip technicolor compacted into one piece of film...

-Rob-

#11 Gerald Moore

Gerald Moore
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Student

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:40 AM

It could have something to do with how Kodachrom works, it is essentially three B+W color filtered emulsions which have color dyes added in processing, much like three strip technicolor compacted into one piece of film...

-Rob-

Is it possible to successfully cross-process K40 as B+W? Are there any professional labs offering this service?
Any ideas?

#12 Jim Carlile

Jim Carlile
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:06 AM

Has Dwayne's given a set timeline, or just a rough estimate? This would be news for the super 8'ers.

Edited by Jim Carlile, 04 September 2008 - 03:07 AM.

#13 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:43 PM

Hi, i am 100% confident i will be able to shoot k/c in two years time and have Dwaynes process the film, also perhaps the opening events of the 2012 Olympics in the uk ;) .... Good news is Wittner still have 8 and ds-8 stocks of k/c :D

Edited by andy oliver, 04 September 2008 - 12:46 PM.

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Abel Cine

The Slider

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc