#1 Brock Smith

Brock Smith

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:37 AM

Ok, so this is my first post on this website. My name is Brock Smith, i'm 22, and I'm about to graduate from a small film school here in LA. Over the next year I plan on spending all of my free time studying light and sets (since these are my weakest points; as seen in my most recent work:
View on Vimeo).

I was wondering basically how you all learned and the best materials available to read and study it. I am eager to learn and do good work and would really appreciate you're all's help. Thank you for your time.

#2 Frank Barrera

Frank Barrera
  • Sustaining Members
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:22 AM

At the top of this page is a link to a fairly complete list of books out there for camera and lighting. you just need to jump right in and start collecting them. however i would say that The Set Technicians Lighting Handbook by Harry Box is an essential beginner's text that covers all the fundamentals.

different people learn in different ways but for my part i have learned almost everything i know about lighting from being on set working with experienced crew in camera, electric and grip dept. then it's the hands on approach of making my own decisions (and mistakes) as i gain experience myself.

actors act, writers write, directors direct and lighters light. this is the way.

good luck

f

#3 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:48 PM

http://www.amazon.co...i...JSSXFGGXCF

#4 Daniel Smith

Daniel Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:54 PM

http://www.amazon.co...i...JSSXFGGXCF

Agreed.. I'm half way through this book at the moment, it's pretty in depth.. it just contains tons of information written by various well known DP's.

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith, 13 April 2008 - 02:55 PM.

#5 Drew Ott

Drew Ott
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Student
  • Austin, TX

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:02 PM

Is it just me or is there not actually a list of books when you click on books. It seems to be moved but I can't find where it went to.

#6 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:28 PM

Is it just me or is there not actually a list of books when you click on books. It seems to be moved but I can't find where it went to.

Works fine for me.

#7 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:37 PM

Send me your address and I'll send you one of my DVDs on lighting free that might help you understand what we look at with lighting and how it translates to what we make.

#8 Brock Smith

Brock Smith

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:34 PM

I really appreciate it guys. I'll look into ordering this book this week. The more i make films the more i realize it's not just a lens or camera that makes a good film look good, but the lighting and textures. Thanks again for your input!

P.S. Walter, I PM'd you

#9 Scott McClellan

Scott McClellan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto/ Halifax/ St. John's, Canada

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:49 AM

I really like the book, "Reflections- twenty one cinematographers at work". It's chock full of lighting scenarios, diagrams, interviews and other helpful info that you can learn from. I agree with Frank that seeing and doing things first hand is the best way to learn, but this is one of the books that I found very informative and helpful.

#10 Jon Furtado

Jon Furtado
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Palm Desert, CA

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:27 AM

A really great book that I've learned a lot from is Motion Picture and Video Lighting by Blain Brown. It as lots of pictures to explain what he's talking about. It goes thru tons of different fixtures, styles of lighting, power distribution and even has lighting plots for several scenes from famous films.

I really enjoy this book and keep it close when I need to look something up.

#11 Brock Smith

Brock Smith

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:23 AM

A really great book that I've learned a lot from is Motion Picture and Video Lighting by Blain Brown. It as lots of pictures to explain what he's talking about. It goes thru tons of different fixtures, styles of lighting, power distribution and even has lighting plots for several scenes from famous films.

I really enjoy this book and keep it close when I need to look something up.

That sounds awesome! That's what i'm looking for! Thanks!

#12 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:15 AM

I'll give Blain's book a nod to. Blaine and I worked together for a while when he was in NY many years ago before going west. He's a great guy and knows his stuff.

#13 David Calson

David Calson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Other
  • Georgia

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:27 PM

Send me your address and I'll send you one of my DVDs on lighting free that might help you understand what we look at with lighting and how it translates to what we make.

Hey Walter, might that offer be available to any other lighting newbs on here? :rolleyes:

#14 Jon Furtado

Jon Furtado
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Palm Desert, CA

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:09 PM

Hey Walter, might that offer be available to any other lighting newbs on here? :rolleyes:

same here. I am in need of some lighting DVD goodness.

#15 Michael Grugal

Michael Grugal

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:47 AM

http://www.amazon.co...o...9904&sr=1-2

Blain is my teacher and I still go back to him all the time for advice.

Edited by Michael Grugal, 20 April 2008 - 11:48 AM.

#16 Kiarash Sadigh

Kiarash Sadigh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:10 PM

Do you get to work with film? Are you interested in gaining an in depth understanding of exposure? Which is somehow relavant to the magnificient world of video..... then check out " The Negative" by Ansel Adams...it's priceless.

http://www.amazon.co...s...4874&sr=1-3

#17 rahul dharuman

rahul dharuman

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:33 PM

hi , im rahul from India , im studying cinematography at film institute , do u have any books regarding lighting , hope so it would be a favourable reply friends : ) .. if so mail me friends my id is rahul_rahul0077@yahoo.com

Edited by rahul dharuman, 23 April 2008 - 12:35 PM.

#18 Marc Shap

Marc Shap
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:21 PM

Ok, so this is my first post on this website. My name is Brock Smith, i'm 22, and I'm about to graduate from a small film school here in LA. Over the next year I plan on spending all of my free time studying light and sets (since these are my weakest points; as seen in my most recent work:
View on Vimeo).

I was wondering basically how you all learned and the best materials available to read and study it. I am eager to learn and do good work and would really appreciate you're all's help. Thank you for your time.

#19 Marc Shap

Marc Shap
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:28 PM

I was wondering basically how you all learned and the best materials available to read and study it. I am eager to learn and do good work and would really appreciate you're all's help. Thank you for your time.[/quote]

I have found that in my few short years as a working DP, the Best way to learn is to shoot, and to keep shooting, get on as many sets as you can and shoot as much as you can, at least for me I have to see what the light is doing rather then reading about it, even if there is diagrams i need to see it, and see how and what I can do to change it. Mistakes are a good way to learn too.....

I would suggest "Reflections- twenty one cinematographers at work" is a great book to check out, also "the 5 C's of cinematography"

marc

#20 Alex Plank

Alex Plank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Student

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:29 AM

This one is geared towards digital video but is a great intro to lighting:

Lighting for Digital Video & Television, Second Edition

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc