#1 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:29 PM

Hi,

I am shopping around for a scan of my film and Pixel harvest has caught my attention, largely in part because of the price, but also one of the file formats they use, cineform, makes it so I can do a basic conform on my machine at home. Has anyone ever used this codec? How did it work for you?

Some more info:

I have a Super 16 short, the picture is locked, the lab is going to put together a scan reel and I want to have either a HDCAM-SR or 2k scan done of the said reel (probably a 1200' flat). I got a quote from Pixel harvest that is too good to pass up, but I wanted to see what other folks might have to say about this Cineform codec before I jump in. I am working on a Mac and want to finish in Color, then out to tape and film. Any shared insight or experience would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director
  • somewhere worshipping Terrence Malick

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:08 AM

I've used Aspect HD for years and I love it. I guess you will need Prospect 2K on your home machine to work with your scan, right? That 2K software isn't cheap.

Does cineform work with Mac? I don't even know. I thought it was mainly for PC/PP3 CS3, etc.

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:19 AM

Hi,

I am shopping around for a scan of my film and Pixel harvest has caught my attention, largely in part because of the price.

Just outta curiosity, what did they quote you?

#4 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:48 PM

Just outta curiosity, what did they quote you?

About 900 is what they told me.

I am unclear as to what software I would need for simple playback and conform, possibly a basic grade (we got 99.5% of the look in camera). Do I really need to purchase the whole thing?

#5 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:06 PM

I've used Aspect HD for years and I love it. I guess you will need Prospect 2K on your home machine to work with your scan, right? That 2K software isn't cheap.

Does cineform work with Mac? I don't even know. I thought it was mainly for PC/PP3 CS3, etc.

I talked to Les at Pixel Harvest, nice guy. He said that they can give me the cineform files in a QuickTime wrapper and it will work with a Mac. Also, I don't have to purchase the software for it to work. Just to let you know

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

CineLab

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post