Sam Rose

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:22 PM

Hi
I hope this is the right forum to post in.

I live in the UK and I am 16. I am considering careers in the film/TV industry.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me about being a cameraman as a career.

What is involved in this job and what would I study after school if I wanted to become a cameraman?

Any advice would be great

Thanks very much

#2 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:34 PM

Hi

What is involved in this job and what would I study after school if I wanted to become a cameraman?

Thanks very much

Hey Sam,

Firstly, you are in the right place.
Welcome!
Being a cameraman is loads of fun but also loads of hard work. There is a bit of technical stuff you need to learn to help you understand how it works but above that your creativity is what separates you from the rest.
My advice is if your not, then start to watch loads of films from the past and now. Read some books on the basic technical side of cameras and light and then go out there with a camera and have some fun! Don't be afraid to make mistakes as it's from the mistakes that you'll learn more.

A good book that I can recommend is called "Cinematography", written by Kris Malkiewicz and our very own David Mullen.

In terms of studying and what route to take I would advise that you go down the photography route. A good place for you to aim at is the National Film and Television School (NFTS). I hear from other people that their Cinematography course is one of the best if not the best in the country.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Cheers
S

#3 Sam Rose

Sam Rose

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:05 AM

Hey Sam,

Firstly, you are in the right place.
Welcome!
Being a cameraman is loads of fun but also loads of hard work. There is a bit of technical stuff you need to learn to help you understand how it works but above that your creativity is what separates you from the rest.
My advice is if your not, then start to watch loads of films from the past and now. Read some books on the basic technical side of cameras and light and then go out there with a camera and have some fun! Don't be afraid to make mistakes as it's from the mistakes that you'll learn more.

A good book that I can recommend is called "Cinematography", written by Kris Malkiewicz and our very own David Mullen.

In terms of studying and what route to take I would advise that you go down the photography route. A good place for you to aim at is the National Film and Television School (NFTS). I hear from other people that their Cinematography course is one of the best if not the best in the country.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Cheers
S

Hi
Thanks for the reply.

Your information is very helpful. I was looking at the NFTS website and it looks like a very good place to learn.

Thanks again

#4 Dax McKeever

Dax McKeever
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:41 AM

Hi

Thanks very much

Hi Sam,

Serge has great advice. I am an old(er) student right now, at age 29, thinking about
my career path. And am interested in cinematography, filmmaking. I am considering
graduate school study at U.C.C.A. in Farnham, England, and I think they have a great
film school; you may want to consider it when you turn 18.

The advantage you have right now is your young age. Professional companies will be
interested to hire you as an intern, because they know you have much to learn and you
may also be happy to stay with the film companies [who hire you, as intern] for many
years? I certainly recommend a young internship position that will give you an advantage
to meet many experienced experts, who you can use as professional contacts in the
future. I am also seeking internship experience, and hope I can gain more contacts.
Life is crazy and you will learn, only by experience, what you like [or don't] and what
you will be happy to do in your life career path.

Dax

University College of Creative Arts in Farnham, England has a detailed film school.

Abel Cine

Technodolly

CineTape

Glidecam

The Slider

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post