#1 Ben Hamilton

Ben Hamilton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:34 PM

Hey everyone,
I am going to Alaska to shoot a documentary on my Sony V1U but we are looking to buy a second camera for the trip and we are looking at the HVR-Z7U. Anyone have links to footage or peoples experience with the camera?
Thanks,
Ben

Edited by Ben Hamilton, 15 April 2008 - 03:35 PM.

#2 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:24 AM

i just finished shooting commercial with the z-7

and let me tell you this camera is by far better then the v-1 which i work on music videos

by every feature bigger cmos, better lens, great manual !

#3 Scott Bullock

Scott Bullock
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Other
  • Denver, CO

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:09 PM

I have experience with the Z1 and the V1 and I just acquired a Z7. As much as I liked the Z1 and V1, the Z7 seems to up the ante over the other 2 cameras (better in low light, interchangeable lenses, true 24P, etc.). It's a new camera (just hit the market in February, I believe) and there aren't a lot of reviews for it yet, so once I've had a chance to use the camera some more and produce some footage worthy of posting (beyond shots of my dog running around, etc.) I'll post a review here.

I'm getting ready to put together a very low-budget independent movie and this camera is perfectly suited for it. No, it's not a RED, but a RED isn't 35mm. All of these cameras have their place, so the flame wars over what is better or worse (blah, blah, blah) is a complete waste of time. I look at it like this: If you can't put together an interesting and compelling project (music video, short/feature film, documentary, etc.) with a Z7, or any camera, for that matter, then you aren't going to be able to do it with RED, Panavision, Arriflex, or any other camera either.

Let me state this, for the record (I don't know why I'm going down this road, perhaps because of the antagonistic nature of a lot of posts in this forum of late): A couple of years ago I was the DP on a feature film that was shot on a Sony PD-150. It was shown over a 3 day period in a local theater to 12 sold-out audiences and not one person voiced any complaints about image quality despite my fears of that happening. My theory regarding this is that because the script, direction, acting, lighting, production design, etc., were first rate, nobody gave a damn that the movie wasn't shot on HD or 35mm.

Anyway, I love the Z7U and, as I'd originally anticipated, it is actually more suited to my needs than the EX1 is, so I'm looking forward to getting the ball rolling on the independent film I referred to above. If our budget could sustain the use of a RED, Super 16, 35mm would I (we) choose one of those routes instead? Of course! But we aren't going to allow our inability to raise the necessary funds to shoot in one of those formats to prevent us from making our movie. It really is that simple, in my opinion.

More to come...

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc