Photo

Loitering around camera rental houses in L.A.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Niki Mundo

Niki Mundo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:48 PM

I've decided from your guys advice not to walk up to film shoots in L.A. because it seems somewhat intrusive and callous. Instead I did an easy google search and noticed there was (7) motion picture rental companies in a two-block area of Hollywood.
Do you think I could get a P.A. job by talking to people in and around these places? What's my angle? What do camera people need?

#2 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:54 PM

I would just try to intern there, volunteer if they haven't any paid gigs if you can afford it until something opens up, or until they recommend you for a paid gig somewhere else. Just try to learn as much as possible, have a nice, positive attitude and have a blast.

That is how I started, not that I am making bank now, but it did work out for me after college and not having a clue as to what to do with myself . . .

Edited by Saul Rodgar, 15 April 2008 - 07:56 PM.

#3 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:32 PM

I've decided from your guys advice not to walk up to film shoots in L.A. because it seems somewhat intrusive and callous. Instead I did an easy google search and noticed there was (7) motion picture rental companies in a two-block area of Hollywood.
Do you think I could get a P.A. job by talking to people in and around these places? What's my angle? What do camera people need?

Just about every a.c. I know who has a career spent at least some if not a good amount of time interning
at a camera rental house. They learned a ton in exchange for working for free. Not every intern went on to a career
but it seems that every working getting paid a.c. I know was an intern.

Check your local rental houses web sites. Often they have a section about internships. People are eager to work in camera rental houses so it's hard to get a paying job in them but since you can learn so much it may well be worth it to you.

It's more possible to get a paying job loading trucks and working in the shop of a grip/electric rental house and that's okay too. Even if you make as much at Starbucks, if you want to be a filmmaker you'll learn a lot about the equipment that is used and you'll be getting a paycheck and making contacts. Often people start working in the shop and go into
grip/electric but it's a good place too for an aspiring D.P., who perhaps can't afford to do an internship, to learn about
much of the equipment that is used in addition to cameras. I think that if you're going to be a D.P. it's good to know about as much different stuff as you can.

CineLab

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal