8 replies to this topic

#1 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:24 AM

I'm in San Francisco on a job today. I'm leaving tomorrow, but I'd be up for grabbing a drink later tonight if anyone is interested. I'm staying at 5th and Mission. It's unlikely I'll be able to check the forum, so give me a call or text if you're thirsty. There is a bar/restaurant at the hotel, but any other close place would be fine. 310-562-5652
Brad Grimmett

#2 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:24 PM

After careful consideration and many hours of on set research with the natives, I've decided to go to Buena Vista. I guess you locals call it BV. I hear the Irish Coffee is famous. So I'll be there probably around 9, but that depends when I'm wrapped. Come on by if you're so inclined

#3 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:40 AM

Ahh yes, I've been inside there once. But I don't drink and they'd closed the kitchen, so I haven't really had the experience yet.

There's a cool Irish pub just down the street on Columbus called "Fiddler's Green" that's less crowded/touristy that I usually go to...awesome food and great burgers.

#4 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:44 AM

I'm in San Francisco on a job today. I'm leaving tomorrow, but I'd be up for grabbing a drink later tonight if anyone is interested. I'm staying at 5th and Mission. It's unlikely I'll be able to check the forum, so give me a call or text if you're thirsty. There is a bar/restaurant at the hotel, but any other close place would be fine. 310-562-5652
Brad Grimmett

Damn, just saw your post Brad! That would have been a lot of fun... Next time, I guess. :)

#5 Pete Von Tews

Pete Von Tews
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Concord CA USA

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:32 PM

Missed it too... perhaps next time!
-pete

#6 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:14 PM

It was a little last minute. And in the end I never made it to Buena Vista. I'll be back I'm sure and I'll try to give more warning next time.
I did make it to the MOMA before I left. They have a great Lee Friedlander exhibition right now. I recommend it highly. There is some really great photography there right now besides Friedlander as well. Also, I was really happy to finally see Jackson Pollock's "Guardians of the Secret" in person. I'm a Pollock fan and wrote a paper about that painting while I was in college.

#7 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:48 PM

It was a little last minute. And in the end I never made it to Buena Vista. I'll be back I'm sure and I'll try to give more warning next time.
I did make it to the MOMA before I left. They have a great Lee Friedlander exhibition right now. I recommend it highly. There is some really great photography there right now besides Friedlander as well. Also, I was really happy to finally see Jackson Pollock's "Guardians of the Secret" in person. I'm a Pollock fan and wrote a paper about that painting while I was in college.

It's great when you get to see your favorite works of art in person. I spent a very long day perusing an exhibition of Edward Weston not long ago. I must have wandered around in there for 4 hours.

#8 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:43 AM

I did make it to the MOMA before I left. They have a great Lee Friedlander exhibition right now. I recommend it highly.

I went to the Friedlander exhibit not to long ago as well. I love how you could see his skill in printing get more and more refined over the years. SF has a ton of smaller photo and art galleries downtown on or around Market St, might be worth checking out on your next trip.

#9 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:39 AM

OK, I'll do that. My hotel was close to Market (I think), and normally is when I'm in town.

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Opal

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Wooden Camera