#1 Ian Cooper

Ian Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Other
  • England

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:59 AM

I'm not sure if this would be better posted in the Arri sub-forum, but here goes:

I've been looking at various lens mounts and found the Arri Standard Mount has a flange focal distance of 52mm with a diameter of 41mm.

Olex's Post states the K3 FFD is also 52mm, and my own measurement shows the diameter to be 43mm

The K3 lens mount has two locking tabs positioned almost 180 degrees from each other (top edge of one tab aligns with bottom edge of the other, so the lens will only fit in one way). The distance across them is about 52mm and each tab is 4mm wide by 2mm thick, with a 3.5mm gap between the tab and the mounting face.

The photograph's on Tim Carroll's website show the front of the Arriflex 16S/B. The Arri bayonet mount can be clearly identified with tab slots, but the two standard mounts do not. Looking at the photo I'm guessing the lever on the camera moves a tab out to engage in a notch on the lens to lock it in place???

Would this be why a standard mount lens will go in an Arri bayonet mount, but an Arri bayonet lens won't work in a standard socket?

Can anybody help with what the standard Arri mount looks like - photo/drawing?

How far behind the mounting flange does the back of the lens project before hitting the mirror on an Arri? - I'm guessing the chamfer on the back of the K3 lens is to avoid the mirror.

Why am I interested?
Well at the moment it seems all I need is a 1mm sleeve with some locking tabs to be able to put a standard Arri lens in my K3!

Whilst I don't have a great problem with the Meteor zoom or Mir 12.5mm I have at the moment, there are certainly more options in the standard Arri mount, wider wide angles, and the Angenieux 12-120mm zoom is only a touch slower but covers a greater range. I'm also guessing the Arri mount lens options will offer better contrast/performance than the K3 options? Arri standards also seem relatively cheap compared to many others.

Ian.

PS: Tim, if you read this I think you'll find a typo "Arrilfex" in your "A History of the Arrilfex 16S in pictures:" title!

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Tai Audio

CineTape