#1 Mike Lary

Mike Lary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:47 AM

Hi folks,

I just got the footage back from my first experience with an A-minima and a number of shots have red contamination in the right edge of the frame that pulses like a heart beat - two intense flashes followed by narrower, less intense one. It happened on two different rolls, and only for part of each roll.

The mag was in the track and forcefully clicked into place each time it was mounted. The image is rock steady and exposure is dead on, so it seems like it must have been a leak, but from where I'm not sure. Has anyone had this experience or have ideas what could have caused it?

Thanks,
Mike

#2 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:27 AM

Hi folks,

I just got the footage back from my first experience with an A-minima and a number of shots have red contamination in the right edge of the frame that pulses like a heart beat - two intense flashes followed by narrower, less intense one. It happened on two different rolls, and only for part of each roll.

The mag was in the track and forcefully clicked into place each time it was mounted. The image is rock steady and exposure is dead on, so it seems like it must have been a leak, but from where I'm not sure. Has anyone had this experience or have ideas what could have caused it?

Thanks,
Mike

It would appear from what you are saying that mishandling the flanged daylight spool is the issue here. I have used A-minimas and there is hardly a chance for the camera to have a light leak once the magazine is inserted and has clicked into place without ruining the entire footage. The edge-of-frame light spill is a lot likelier to have ocurred due to mishandling the daylight spool during pre/ post-loading than at any other moment when it is in the camera. This has never happened to me, but as I have said I have used several A-minima bodies and they were all fine, hence I am almost positive that yout light spill ocurred at some point while handling the daylight spool.

I see that issue all the time in older 8mm home movies, which came in daylight spools as well and it is always the case of mishandling the spool before or after unloading it, most likely during thread up.

Edited by Saul Rodgar, 18 April 2008 - 11:29 AM.

#3 Mike Lary

Mike Lary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for your response. What exactly do you mean by mishandling? Do you mean there was too much handling time and the edge of the film was exposed at that time?

#4 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:02 PM

Thanks for your response. What exactly do you mean by mishandling? Do you mean there was too much handling time and the edge of the film was exposed at that time?

Well, sometime during the loading/ threading up/ unloading of the film on the camera, there was a light leak by probably bending the sides of the spool in or out even minimally, that is what causes light to have crept in there short of breaking the spool or its sides. This happens when people (usually without much experience loading these mags) are a little rough with the film and spool while loading them. One has to be very gentle with the spools/ film every time they are handled, as you have unfortunately found out. I don't mean to say you don't have experience, you may, but one has to be gentle with film and daylight A-minima spools. . .

Edited by Saul Rodgar, 18 April 2008 - 01:07 PM.

#5 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:32 PM

That same thing happened to me once. I tracked it down o a daylight spool that was coming apart. If you have one without film on it, you'll see that the spool is basically a 2 inch core with the two flanges that twist onto it. What happened was one of the flanges was loose and allowed a tunnel of light to hit the edge of the film.

#6 Mike Lary

Mike Lary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:01 AM

I'll be that was it. The leak was worse at the end of the roll. That would make sense if light was coming in through the flange holes and why it pulsed twice. Thanks. I'll be especially careful with those spools in the future.

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Technodolly

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport