#1 austin smoak

austin smoak

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:25 PM

I'm scheduled to shoot some promo material for a company on the Canadian Border this summer and one of the things they want me to capture is the Northern Lights.
Unfortunately, their budget is very small so the camera will have to be one of the lower end HD or DV cameras. I've been looking at the Canon XH-A1, XL-2 and the Sony HVR-A1U.
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for which one I should buy or if any of these can even expose for the Northern Lights. Also, if anyone has any tips on shooting, I'm open.
Thanks

#2 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director
  • somewhere worshipping Terrence Malick

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:09 PM

I'm scheduled to shoot some promo material for a company on the Canadian Border this summer and one of the things they want me to capture is the Northern Lights.
Unfortunately, their budget is very small so the camera will have to be one of the lower end HD or DV cameras. I've been looking at the Canon XH-A1, XL-2 and the Sony HVR-A1U.
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for which one I should buy or if any of these can even expose for the Northern Lights. Also, if anyone has any tips on shooting, I'm open.
Thanks

If you search the forums, there a number of threads on this topic, I believe. I recently saw a great Borealis shot done with the Sony EX1, if that camera is within your budget. I believe it was done with frame accumulation.

#3 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:02 PM

Go to DV.coms boards. I remember a guy there who shoots them every week and knows more than anyone about shooting them

#4 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director
  • somewhere worshipping Terrence Malick

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:43 PM

I don't know if this is an option, but there is a lot of very nice northern lights stock footage floating around out there.

#5 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:35 PM

The Aurora isn't bright enough to capture in real time: all the motion picture sequences you will see are timelapse/time exposures, with up to 10 seconds per frame. The aurora does weave about in the sky, but nothing like as quickly as you'd think if you've only seen film or video clips of it.

Opal

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Tai Audio

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets