Jason Nardella

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:19 PM

Hi,

I am planning a short tree-planting documentary to be shoot this spring/summer in the middle of nowhere in the forest of northern Canada. I have a Canon XHA1 which I am starting to get familiar with. I have only shoot using the 30f mode and was debating trying the 24f mode for this shoot. I will shoot using handheld, merlin steadicam, and tripod.There is plenty of motion and movement involved in the documentary and am concerned about jitter. My other main concern is regarding transferring and editing. It seems many programs cannot read the 24f mode. I know about turning off the image stabilizer and setting the shutter at at least 48. I would like to get a more film look for my project, but don't want endless headaches because of it. Can anyone give me the lowdown and the 24f mode? I will most likely be editing the footage on FCP 5.1.4.

Thanx

#2 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:00 PM

The most common way to get a film look without a headache is to shoot on film. You won't get a film look with that camera. In my opinion, that is a misguided goal.

Shooting HDV in general causes problems in my experience, but if 30p doesn't give you any trouble then 24p shouldn't either. However, a friend of mine had some kind of express or student version of FCP, and that can only capture HDV in 30p, and not 24, dunno why.

#3 Peter Moretti

Peter Moretti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 306 posts
  • Other
  • Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:11 AM

Jay,

I would post on a FCP forum concerning 24F. I BELIEVE FCP does capture and edit 24F. I know Sony Vegas does. There are workarounds that aren't too painful involving 3rd party capture programs if your NLE can't handle 24F.

More importantly, shoot some mock scenes. There is no way anyone on the internet will be able to tell you definitively if 24F or 30F will be able to handle the movement. Test it out a lot and see what works to your eye.

This sounds like a challenging shoot, mostly b/c the sound will be difficult. You'll need a boom operator and wind protection. Or you can lav, but mount the lav well because of clothing noise. And how will you be mic'd? Or are you going to just use the camera mic?

My guess would be to shoot the fast moving scenes in 60i. DVFilms DVFilmmaker can deinterlace 60i, remove the pulldown and convert it to 24P. It won't look as good as natively shot 24P/F but it will look pretty good. The program costs about $175.

But don't take my word for it. Test out different frame rates and see what works.

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

CineTape