#1 Ger Leonard

Ger Leonard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Director
  • dublin, ireland

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:32 AM

Any views on film scores in general.. theories, favorites etc?

Is film music, like dialogue, cuts and Close ups. all too often used to bludgeon the audience into passive submission ?

Not to sound too rarified but shouldn't a film hold up without recourse to extensive use of the above. Don't get me wrong, there are many films that i love whose extensive score is utterly integral to the film (leone, argenta, keislovski etc)..likewise with dialogue and close ups, but too often they feel like devices covering up the inadequacies of the film or more worryingly the perceived inadequacies of their audience.

its unfortunate that when sound was introduced films became known as "talkies", as dialogue is but one instrument that the introduction of sound made available.

I have two musicians/sound artists lined up to collaborate on the score of my first feature

Rutger Zuydervelt (Machinefabriek) and Peter Broderick (if curious links below)

http://www.myspace.com/machinefabriek
http://www.myspace.com/peterbroderick

They have collaborated before but this will be there first score for a feature film..

Rutger mixes field recordings, found sounds, classical instrumentation, sine waves, guitar drone, electronic processing and more to create a soundscapes that are as visually stimulating as they are sonically.. for me his music can dissolve into the fabric of the film, creating a certain distortion, a new coloring, a resonance integral to the images. Not lending the image an emotion but a texture, a feeling.

Peter is a more classical multi -instrumentalist, harmonic and melodic in nature. Both understand the importance of the silence between sounds, or as someone said, " it was sound that created silence."

It is these two forces i want to bring together to create the film's score.

I am also looking into acquiring the rights to a couple of pieces of music:

Arvo Part .. Fur alina

Neu! ... Leb wohl

I wondered in anyone here knows how much the rights might be?

I would only be using the opening minute of leb wohl, but i'm not sure that this will mean a reduction.

Are there are musicians that you would love to hear composing scores for films ?

There is an huge amount of talented musicians/sound artists out there whose work i believe deserves a wider canvas.

#2 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:48 AM

Hello Ger,

Of course, rules are to be broken. But, here's a rule of thumb that might help: If the movie was really good but you can't remember any of the music, then the music did it's job.

Another: Themes are ships, all else are submarines.

#3 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:06 PM

Music is just one more element of film, like cinematography, editing, production design, acting and so forth. Filmmakers can use it overtly or subtly, just like any other element. There's no one way it "should" be used.

The problem I've noticed on some Hollywood films is that the music seems to be administered onto a finished film after the fact, and ends up feeling "decorative" rather than integrated into the design of the film. When that happens music that's too ear catching and memorable can just end up feeling hokey and distracting, like a wallpaper pattern that's too loud for the room.

Like the other elements of filmmaking, when music is well integrated into the design of the film you end up feeling the effect, regardless of whether you're consciously aware of it. That doesn't mean that the score has to be "buried" in the edit or forgettable either; just that is has to be incorporated into the design. You can take complete or even well know pieces of music like "The Blue Danube Waltz" or "Mrs. Robinson" and successfully integrate them into the design of the film.

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery