#1 Edward Roberts

Edward Roberts
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York New York

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:54 PM

Im in pre production for a music video. I'm trying to recreate a 1965 broadcast The sound of Motown from the show Ready Steady Go (RSG).

From what I understand the recording was on 2 inch Quadruplex video. Im guessing from the look of it im guessing its at least a 4th or 5th dub of that original version. I'm wondering what is the the best way to recreate this look? I'm planing to shoot with the Arri BL or Eclair NPR, 16mm kodak's 7222 double-x, exposing it 1 stop over, pushing it a stop, going out to bata, then maybe VHS and making copies of copies of that. Any ideas or suggestions?

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:12 PM

Are you sure RSG wasn't shot on video with studio cameras? To create a vintage video look you'd probably be better off shooting on video, where you have more precise control over the contrast and gamma curve. I think overexposing AND pushing double-x is going to blow out your highlights, and the clip you showed simply didn't look that uncontrolled. The contrast was actually quite mild.

I was camera operator on a Sum 41 music video where we needed to recreate the look of the "Solid Gold" tv show from the 80's. The DP initially wanted to shoot on vintage tube cameras, but I talked him into shooting with more reliable (and matching) modern cameras (Sony D-30's & Beta SP). We gave up the "comet-tailing" artifacts in favor of more control, and went with nets and start filters instead.

Matching the set design, coverage and camera movement goes a long way to create the illusion.

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio