6 replies to this topic

#1 Rich Hibner

Rich Hibner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:55 PM

I'm new here and been reading on some past forums and from what I have read so far, a fair amount of people don't like RED. Why's that?

#2 Daniel Sheehy

Daniel Sheehy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:39 PM

Keep reading...

I think you'll find it's not the camera itself, that people object to, it's been some of the RED marketing strategies that have rubbed people the wrong way.

But really, it shouldn't matter to you what other people think. Assess the camera based on your budget, workflow and requirements, and decide for yourself.

#3 Allen Achterberg

Allen Achterberg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Santa Maria CA

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:44 PM

But really, it shouldn't matter to you what other people think. Assess the camera based on your budget, workflow and requirements, and decide for yourself.

exactly...

#4 Rich Hibner

Rich Hibner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 April 2008 - 01:32 AM

Oh, it wasn't a matter of whether it mattered to me, I just wanted to see why people disliked the RED here. You mentioned the marketing and strategy and I agree. I've been around the reduser boards a while and there its mainly fan boys who worship the RED and have a bias opinion. I was just checking out what people though over here, less bias opinion.

#5 John Brawley

John Brawley
  • Sustaining Members
  • 834 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta Georgia

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:34 AM

I'm new here and been reading on some past forums and from what I have read so far, a fair amount of people don't like RED. Why's that?

This kind of question makes it sound as if you are making a judgement of some kind. Don't like Red compared to what ?

To me, I read a range of opinions both for and against Red. And so it should be. Just like most subjects in life. And I like hearing everyone's opinions from all perspectives.

What gives me the pip is when it decends into drivel.

jb

#6 Rich Hibner

Rich Hibner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 April 2008 - 05:33 AM

A judgement based on reading past posts? Compared to Sub 4k camera's alike. Like I quoted earlier, I've read more posts with people discerning the RED than praising it. Possibly I skipped over the praising part. And it seemed the gentleman who posted first said it was more about their marketing and strategy not the RED product itself. No worries.

#7 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 April 2008 - 05:39 AM

Some people here hold strong opinions on technical issues and express them. Once you have others reacting against them you're going to an exchange. All this wasn't helped by the effective viral marketing which allowed endless speculation.

However, there was useful information flying around in the middle of all this and I expect RED did rather well out of all the on line arguing.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products