#1 stephanie hunt

stephanie hunt

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:29 AM

Hi everyone, I would really appreciate your help on my dissertation!

My title is: How colour is used as a design motif in film.

What I would like to know is if you think it is effective to use colour to create a motif theoughout a film? Does it always work? Which colours you think work best?

How impotant is colour when it comes to a design for you?

Thanks everyone!

Steff

#2 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2250 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:55 AM

It means nothing to me ,think you ought to get hold of Vittorio Storaro's book and ideas on colour in films its his obsession , good luck .

#3 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:05 PM

Look at Patti Bellatoni's book "If it's purple someone's gonna die". Just Google it, it's not hard to find. (Or look on the book list on this site).

Key thoughts: Wizard of Oz: would "follow the blue brick road" have worked as well?; would the witch be as scary with a red face? ; what about Dorothy's shoes, why are they red?

Look at "the cook, the thief his wife and her lover" (dir Peter Greenaway, dop Sasha Vierny) to see the colour of each room in the restaurant. Why did he choose those colours?

Consider tinting and toning in the very early days of black & white silent cinema - when love scenes were tinted pink, interiors were sepia toned etc.

Look at this article. It is quite academic, but skip down to the panels of thumbnail images showing different themes in Vertigo. What do they tell you, even before reading a word of the text?

Finally, and most accessible and important, look at "Hero" - dir Zhang Yimou, dop Chris Doyle - to see the same story told several times from different viewpoints, in a different colour each time. Try to find out if blue, and red, and yellow and green are used symbolically (if so, what do they symbolise?) or simply as diferent colours to distinguish the different narratives. Serach for Chris Doyle's commentary on this.

#4 Kirsty Stark

Kirsty Stark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Adelaide, Australia

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:13 AM

I almost want to go and write an essay on colour now!

Dominic, thanks for responding, even though I wasn't the original poster. I'm constantly amazed at how much advice everyone on this forum is willing to offer others. Can't wait to look at the films you recommended - you've given me a lot to think about!

#5 Billy Furnett

Billy Furnett
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:30 PM

Check out that newer Will Ferrel basketball flick. (the name escapes me at the moment)
They use the team's colors through out the movie and it really lends something interesting to the 70's retro aspect of the story. Hard to describe and sounds far out, but the colors are the colors in which I remember the 70's.

#6 Alex Plank

Alex Plank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Student

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:54 PM

I agree with Dominic. Check out Zhang Yimou's films. Most of his films, even the earlier ones (like Raise the Red Lantern) rely heavily on the relationships between colors.

#7 stephanie hunt

stephanie hunt

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:18 PM

Look at Patti Bellatoni's book "If it's purple someone's gonna die". Just Google it, it's not hard to find. (Or look on the book list on this site).

Key thoughts: Wizard of Oz: would "follow the blue brick road" have worked as well?; would the witch be as scary with a red face? ; what about Dorothy's shoes, why are they red?

Look at "the cook, the thief his wife and her lover" (dir Peter Greenaway, dop Sasha Vierny) to see the colour of each room in the restaurant. Why did he choose those colours?

Consider tinting and toning in the very early days of black & white silent cinema - when love scenes were tinted pink, interiors were sepia toned etc.

Look at this article. It is quite academic, but skip down to the panels of thumbnail images showing different themes in Vertigo. What do they tell you, even before reading a word of the text?

Finally, and most accessible and important, look at "Hero" - dir Zhang Yimou, dop Chris Doyle - to see the same story told several times from different viewpoints, in a different colour each time. Try to find out if blue, and red, and yellow and green are used symbolically (if so, what do they symbolise?) or simply as diferent colours to distinguish the different narratives. Serach for Chris Doyle's commentary on this.

Thanks! thats really helpful, Patti Bellantonis book is great, Ive been using it for ages, very much the sort of thing Im looking at. As a result I will probably never be able to watch The Wizard of Oz again.
Watching Hero has really helped me. And that article was great.

Thank You!

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Opal

Ritter Battery