Photo

What is the difference between Babenett and Grifolin ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Carlos Gustavo Cardenas

Carlos Gustavo Cardenas

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:31 AM

thanks !!!

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:53 AM

thanks !!!

Those materials are actually not alike at all.

Bobbinette is like really fine black screen. It's the material that nets are made of. You use it for reducing the quantity of light on an area without changing the quality of light. If you want to reduce the output of the entire spread of a light, use a wire scrim. If you want to cut some light off of one particular area and leave the rest alone, a net is the right tool for the job.

Grif is a plastic material like that of a tarp. It is usually in large frames of 6x6, 8x8, 12x12, etc. Usually it will have a white side that is good for large bounce surfaces and a black side that I have never really seen used for anything. I think there is clear grif that would be diffusion, but lighter diffusion than a silk. I have seen big grifs (think 12x) used for rain shelters on really nasty days; it works well but it has to be inclined to make sure water doesn't pool in it.

#3 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:40 AM

Those materials are actually not alike at all.

Bobbinette is like really fine black screen. It's the material that nets are made of. You use it for reducing the quantity of light on an area without changing the quality of light. If you want to reduce the output of the entire spread of a light, use a wire scrim. If you want to cut some light off of one particular area and leave the rest alone, a net is the right tool for the job.

Grif is a plastic material like that of a tarp. It is usually in large frames of 6x6, 8x8, 12x12, etc. Usually it will have a white side that is good for large bounce surfaces and a black side that I have never really seen used for anything. I think there is clear grif that would be diffusion, but lighter diffusion than a silk. I have seen big grifs (think 12x) used for rain shelters on really nasty days; it works well but it has to be inclined to make sure water doesn't pool in it.

The black side of the grif is usually used to give a black fill to actors if the available light is to bright and the DP wants to give the actors more shaded bounce to one side so that it doesn't look flat on camera. It can used in other ways as well but mostly it is a light shaping tool.

Bobbinette can be used as ND over windows and doors , or if big enough, maybe even behind actors outdoors as well, to bring the background exposure down without introducing any coloration to the image. As long as the lens is not focused near it, it will simply dissapear to camera, just darkening the image it covers.

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:30 PM

The black side of the grif is usually used to give a black fill to actors if the available light is to bright and the DP wants to give the actors more shaded bounce to one side so that it doesn't look flat on camera. It can used in other ways as well but mostly it is a light shaping tool.

I've never seen griff for that, we've always used solids for negative fill. Doesn't the fact that it's shiny kind of screw it up for negative fill?

#5 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:41 PM

I've never seen griff for that, we've always used solids for negative fill. Doesn't the fact that it's shiny kind of screw it up for negative fill?

Only if there is light falling directly on it . . . Different crews use different things to accomplish things. There is no right of wrong just whatever works in a particular case. If that wont work for the particular DP, then he gets a solid to do the job.

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

CineTape