Jay Taylor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Student
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to understand how you make movies without computers! I know, it sounds funny, but help me out here!

Okay, so once you've shot your film, you send the film off to the lab for processing. Then you get a workprint. You edit that. You need your audio materials transferred to? what? With 16mm it's magnetic? And with 35mm it's optical?

Then you get the negative cut, the soundtrack created, et cetera, and then you talk with the color timer/grader and get an answer print.

Now this is where I'm a little bit confused. Once you're happy with the answer print, how do you get a release print?

It sounds like if you're needing thousands of prints, you'd get an IP made? And make your prints from that?

What if you only need two or three prints? Can you print directly from the answer print? Or do you need some other print before making the official prints?

I really should buy a book about all this!

Jay

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:03 PM

Check out these titles:

http://www.amazon.co...i...DPJRR8A561

http://www.amazon.co...d_bxgy_b_text_b

#3 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:33 PM

You need your audio materials transferred to? what? With 16mm it's magnetic? And with 35mm it's optical?

Wow you are going back in time with sound! But not as far back as editing on optical sound.

Both 35mm and 16mm would be transferred onto sprocketed mag stock, which can then run locked in sync with the picture during the picture edit on a Moviola or Steenbeck.

Once you're happy with the answer print, how do you get a release print?

For a small number of prints, you simply have more prints made from the original negative. They use the same grading (printer lights) as the answer print.

For a larger print order, you have an interpostive made (this is a good idea anyway as it is the safety master - if you damage the final cut negative while making the prints, you need something to duplicate back from to recover your images!). The interpos is made witht he same printer lights again, so it carries the approved grade that was in the answer print.

Then you get a dupe neg (or even several DN's for a really big order) made from the IP. Then you can make any number of prints from that dupe negative.

Remember, the photographic process goes neg > pos > neg > pos etc. You can't make a pos print directly from a pos print or from an IP.

http://www.amazon.co...i...DPJRR8A561

Michael, thanks for including this reference, I recommend it too ;)

#4 Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Student
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:23 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help! I'll check out those books as soon as I can!

By the way, what would be considered a small number of prints?

Jay

Abel Cine

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Technodolly