#1 John Butler

John Butler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Other
  • New Jersey

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:14 AM

Does anyone know what the sharpest/finest grained 500t film is? I heard somewhere that eterna was, but comparing a 2k scan of that to one of the 5218 I doubt it. Also, what is Fuji's sharpest stock? I would assume f 64d but it's quite old.

#2 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2250 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:57 AM

Dont really think you can compare sharpness of stocks after they have gone through a 2K Di !! . So does old mean its not sharp ,think not .

#3 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:27 PM

Does anyone know what the sharpest/finest grained 500t film is? I heard somewhere that eterna was, but comparing a 2k scan of that to one of the 5218 I doubt it. Also, what is Fuji's sharpest stock? I would assume f 64d but it's quite old.

Yeah, a 2k isn't the best way to judge the sharpness of 35mm, since you are loosing resolution. A contact print would be better. Fuji in general isn't as sharp as Kodak, except perhaps for the 160T Vivid or the 64D. I agree with John in that since a emulsion is of an older formulation than most out there, doesn't mean it isn't sharp or lacking in any way. I personally think Fuji is great, I usually use it.

#4 John Butler

John Butler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Other
  • New Jersey

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:51 AM

Yeah, a 2k isn't the best way to judge the sharpness of 35mm, since you are loosing resolution. A contact print would be better. Fuji in general isn't as sharp as Kodak, except perhaps for the 160T Vivid or the 64D. I agree with John in that since a emulsion is of an older formulation than most out there, doesn't mean it isn't sharp or lacking in any way. I personally think Fuji is great, I usually use it.

well, at 2k you can still notice if one is grainier and softer though. Also, I heard somewhere 160t was their sharpest. The f 64 d is from like, 1996 I think and at the time wasn't as sharp as the exr equivalent so I was doubting it was the sharpest today. Still a pretty good film though.

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

CineTape