• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rupe Whiteman

Rupe Whiteman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 336 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:39 AM

Can you help?... I'm trying to mount some clips on to web pages. My original movie is a quicktime mp4 file in a 2.35:1 ratio. I've selected a couple of scenes to export from I-movie to I-web pages but when I do so it either crops the image to 16:9 or 4:3.... how do I preserve the original ratio and... any help on the (myriad of) quicktime/movie export settings from I-movie would be a great help too...

Thanks.

#2 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:25 PM

The best (and shittiest looking) thing I have found to do (and the easiest) is to first export your non 4:3 or 16x9 aspect ratio footage to NTSC letterboxed or 16x9 letterboxed. And then export for the web from there making sure there is no interlacing. It is not ideal, but it works. I don't know any other way. Maybe someone else here can educate us . . .

The problem is with iWeb and servers that want to show non 4:3 or 16x9 footage as either aspect ratio. So it ends up being reversed anamorphic converted or cropped after it uploads to the web when the original export from FCP looks fine. So it is not a problem with FCP as it is with the web apps not being able to handle non 4:3 or 16x9 footage correctly.

Edited by Saul Rodgar, 03 May 2008 - 01:30 PM.

#3 Rupe Whiteman

Rupe Whiteman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 336 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:39 PM

... I've worked out what I was doing wrong!.. the clip was being cropped when I moved it from the event library to the project library not when I tried to export the quicktime movie... problem solved...

Glidecam

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Opal

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab