#1 Niki Mundo

Niki Mundo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:41 AM

This has been a big few weeks for me here in L.A., trying to find employment in the film industry, getting no where fast and then getting work but not much which is called "paying your dues". Well I've decided I don't want to pay my dues, I want to helm and command asap. This student film I work on what a somewhat stupid 1940's film noir throw-back, I'm sure if I continue "paying my dues" I'll be working on car commercials,infomericals and whatever crap until I finally get that cash-cow WB syndicated series when I turn 30. By that time I'll be known whithin the the scene as a hard-working AD or something..

I have little regard for rank-file positions and almost immediately after coming onto this student film set I wanted to tell people what to do! I wanted to fire the DP, a mouthy girl who thought she was the director. And then fire the director because she was a mouse and I couldn't understand why she was in charge except her rich mommy was roaming around the set (kick her off the set too.) Every shot they did I wanted to say something, I would stand there and have the hardest time not saying something!

Plus I think modern sets are bloated and actors are losers for the most part. I wanna beat ,really beat, alot of them into the ground.
I know this sounds dark,violent and "bad attitudey" but I could care less. I'm gonna step up on the backs of these people.

And how can I get a agent?
So I have my script Ideas, where can I get a good writer at?
What are the advantages of filming "independant" in L.A.?

#2 chuck colburn

chuck colburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Other
  • orygun

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:52 AM

This has been a big few weeks for me here in L.A., trying to find employment in the film industry, getting no where fast and then getting work but not much which is called "paying your dues". Well I've decided I don't want to pay my dues, I want to helm and command asap. This student film I work on what a somewhat stupid 1940's film noir throw-back, I'm sure if I continue "paying my dues" I'll be working on car commercials,infomericals and whatever crap until I finally get that cash-cow WB syndicated series when I turn 30. By that time I'll be known whithin the the scene as a hard-working AD or something..

I have little regard for rank-file positions and almost immediately after coming onto this student film set I wanted to tell people what to do! I wanted to fire the DP, a mouthy girl who thought she was the director. And then fire the director because she was a mouse and I couldn't understand why she was in charge except her rich mommy was roaming around the set (kick her off the set too.) Every shot they did I wanted to say something, I would stand there and have the hardest time not saying something!

Plus I think modern sets are bloated and actors are losers for the most part. I wanna beat ,really beat, alot of them into the ground.
I know this sounds dark,violent and "bad attitudey" but I could care less. I'm gonna step up on the backs of these people.

And how can I get a agent?
So I have my script Ideas, where can I get a good writer at?
What are the advantages of filming "independant" in L.A.?

Well I want to fly so where's my Lear jet?
With your shitass attitude you will fit right in with certain elements in Hollywood. Don't forget to bring your tube of KY jelly you arrogant little prick.

Edited by chuck colburn, 03 May 2008 - 11:53 AM.

#3 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:19 PM

Niki:

This has gone too far. You should stop hijacking this forum to vent on your antisocial, domineering and psycho tendencies. I think it is clear you are deranged and need to bring conflict into whatever situation you con your way in. Your self-rightousness and sense of entitlement are second to none. Please stop posting and seek proffesional help NOW!

You have abused the good nature of people in this forum long enough, are you happy? Now move on and spare us your hateful peddling of sour grapes.

Thank you.

The rest of us should just ignore this person from now on . . .

#4 chuck colburn

chuck colburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Other
  • orygun

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:23 PM

Niki:

This has gone too far. You should stop hijacking this forum to vent on your antisocial, domineering and psycho tendencies. I think it is clear you are deranged and need to bring conflict into whatever situation you con your way in. Your self-rightousness and sense of entitlement are second to none. Please stop posting and seek proffesional help NOW!

You have abused the good nature of people in this forum long enough, are you happy? Now move on and spare us your hateful peddling of sour grapes.

Thank you.

The rest of us should just ignore this person from now on . . .

Morning Saul,

Your better with words than I am. lol

Chuck

#5 Niki Mundo

Niki Mundo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:24 PM

Well I want to fly so where's my Lear jet?
With your shitass attitude you will fit right in with certain elements in Hollywood. Don't forget to bring your tube of KY jelly you arrogant little prick.

Yeah, were is your Lear Jet? Chillax, my "Shitass attitude" suits me just fine. Just because I want to produce quality entertainment doesn't mean I won't. Why KY jelly?Why not just dry? It's gonna hurt regardless..

#6 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:09 PM

While I respect individuality and drive, a little something to keep in mind, Niki: Movie making is a group effort. Social skills are probably a little more important than technical or artistic skill.

#7 Andrew Rawson

Andrew Rawson
  • Sustaining Members
  • 57 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:22 PM

Niki,
Unless you change your attitude I predict you will go absolutely nowhere in this business. Film making is a collaborative effort and unless you can communicate and get along with your coworkers nobody is going to want to work with you. Yes, we all get frustrated because, as in all walks of life, you are always bound to run into a few idiots and incompetent people on the set. By the same token there are some geniuses out there as well. But even the super talented directors and cinematographers did not just wake up one morning and be that person. No matter how smart you think you are film making is a technical craft that can only be mastered by doing it over and over again day in and day out for years. I have been in this business for 20 years and I constantly find myself learning new things daily. That is what is so wonderful about this business. But even the smartest and most visionary person out there will have a tough time of it if they do not have the people skills to be tolerant and patient of others.
Sorry to sound preachy but your post stunned me.

Andy

#8 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:25 PM

Just because I want to produce quality entertainment doesn't mean I won't.

What have you done, Niki? You need to have produced something of quality to warrant having an agent.

#9 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:35 PM

I'll put it like this: I know exactly what I'm going to say if I ever see your resume on a desk or hear your name being kicked around for a position. <_<

#10 Allen Achterberg

Allen Achterberg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Santa Maria CA

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:02 PM

I'll put it like this: I know exactly what I'm going to say if I ever see your resume on a desk or hear your name being kicked around for a position. <_<

Niki, you should think about what you post, because you can burn some serious bridges on this forum. I want to shoot, but I cannot demand it. I enjoy working on the crew, there are a lot of jobs on set you can take pride in. They are not pointless nor meaningless. You are not all knowing, working a crew position will help you learn how things on a set are run. Every set has moments of Chaos, When that happens relax and reflect on the situation before opening your mouth. You open your mouth too soon you'll regret it later. You've already done some good damage to your name.

Remember, this poop doesn't happen overnight. (unless you fortunate enough to have mountains of cash)

These people on these forums can seriously help you, and you show nothing but disrespect to them. Show some appreciation and show a desire to earn your spot. You won't last long going like you are. They are all saying the same thing. Think about it.

Get serious about this, or get out of the forums.

#11 Justin Hayward

Justin Hayward
  • Sustaining Members
  • 928 posts
  • Director
  • Chicago, IL.

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:30 PM

Don't worry Niki, with enough hard work and perseverance, you just might get to fire a whole crew someday. :P

#12 Niki Mundo

Niki Mundo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:37 PM

Niki,
Unless you change your attitude I predict you will go absolutely nowhere in this business. Film making is a collaborative effort and unless you can communicate and get along with your coworkers nobody is going to want to work with you.

It can be a collaborative effort. Or it could be a dictatorship. And I'm the dictator.
Nobody would work with me if I sucked.

That's probably for the best, Chris. We never liked each other..

Niki, you should think about what you post, because you can burn some serious bridges on this forum. I want to shoot, but I cannot demand it. I enjoy working on the crew, there are a lot of jobs on set you can take pride in. They are not pointless nor meaningless. You are not all knowing, working a crew position will help you learn how things on a set are run. Every set has moments of Chaos, When that happens relax and reflect on the situation before opening your mouth. You open your mouth too soon you'll regret it later. You've already done some good damage to your name.

Remember, this poop doesn't happen overnight. (unless you fortunate enough to have mountains of cash)

These people on these forums can seriously help you, and you show nothing but disrespect to them. Show some appreciation and show a desire to earn your spot. You won't last long going like you are. They are all saying the same thing. Think about it.

Get serious about this, or get out of the forums.

I've never disrespect anyone here. This being a technical forum I tend to shoot the sh-t a bit but if that's rufffles the feathers of some it certianly entertains others and that's why we're in this business, aren't we, to entertain?

So far as set "procedure" I'm really interested in changing that.
I love the logic around here!

#13 Allen Achterberg

Allen Achterberg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Santa Maria CA

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:01 PM

You are not very entertaining Niki.

This is not necessarily a TECHNICAL Forum, it's "a Community of Film and Video Professionals" who help in other ways that are not just technical. In such respect, many are discouraging your awful attitude for good reason! That will help you down the road.

Especially for a post thats posted in "Students and First Time Filmmakers" which is funny enough you know where you should put your Posts, but at the same time you act above it! You are in no place to be sporting a 'tude such as yours. and if you must, keep it to yourself.

#14 Niki Mundo

Niki Mundo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:12 PM

You are not very entertaining Niki.

I guess it's subjective. Sorry Allen, I guess you're gonna have to ignore me now.

#15 Benjamin Smith

Benjamin Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Director
  • Austin, TX

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:34 PM

Niki,
Look I know how you feel. It is frustrating to have the vision of directing and not being able to accomplish that right off the bat. I can understand you probably got off an annoying shoot and and needed to unload but honestly this is not that place to do that. You had some good questions at the bottom of your post if you had just came out and said, "hey I had a frustrating shoot and have some questions..." Because it is true the people on this site are the professionals and you coming just out of school will probably run into some of them, and you can burn bridges with them. I am in the same place stuck "paying my dues as you say" but when I am frustrated I don't unload on the people here I come here for a little guidance. So lets try it a little different next time.

My advice take it or leave it.

Don't worry Niki, with enough hard work and perseverance, you just might get to fire a whole crew someday. :P

:lol: Laughed for hours...classic

#16 Rupe Whiteman

Rupe Whiteman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 336 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:45 PM

... It's a small World... what goes around comes around...

#17 Martin Yernazian

Martin Yernazian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Director
  • San Francisco/Los Angeles CA USA

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:13 PM

you are NUts!, if you want to make a change, you should be humble you crazy ass!

#18 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:26 PM

Troll alert, Troll alert...

of course I hear the same tale on almost every set. Incidentally, the Director of Photography *is* equal to the director on the set, in some productions. Both are under the Producer, who is the boss of all bosses.

#19 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:38 PM

You got it wrong.

It should be...

I.can't.crew.I.must.direct!Must.learn.to.stop.talking.like.William.Shatner.Must.stop.making.each.word.i
ts.own.sentence...Spock.

#20 Niki Mundo

Niki Mundo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:47 PM

Yeah, that's funny.

This is my last post. I thank everyone who has responded to my threads in the past. I'm not going to become a cinematographer but will continue reading this site's forums. I'm in L.A. now, time to play the game. Thanks for the guidance.

Niki Mundo

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

CineTape

Metropolis Post