1 reply to this topic

#1 Michael Maier

Michael Maier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:32 AM

I was not sure of where to post this, but since we are mainly talking about digital cinematography and DI processes I thought this area was the most appropriated.
In the last few years since the advent of digital cinematography and DI’s there has been a bleach bypass crazy. While before Saving Private Ryan you barely saw any, today every movie seems to have some sort of bleach bypass look to it. With digital grading, it seem bleach bypass is no longer limited to silver retention. Looks of movies like 300 for example are clearly inspired by bleach bypass and could be said to be a variation of the same. But are there names for these new digital variations of bleach bypass? Are they even variations at all or are they so changed they their deserve a new name? What are everybody’s opinions on this bleach bypass crazy of late? Is it just a way to get way with lazy lighting and production values? Just a cheap way to make ordinary footage look interesting?
Check this still for example. It surely looks like some sort of bleach bypass:
http://www.flickr.co...N07/2466868903/
In the negative days you could never get a look like this.

Edited by Michael Maier, 05 May 2008 - 06:35 AM.

#2 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:14 AM

It could be argued that digital and modern day film stocks in all their sharp rendering of colors and low grain just lack enough personality to a lot of DP's, who feel the need to push them away from their blandness.

I still like the look of EXR more than Vision 2, and I am not old enough to have shot with pre EXR stocks, so I guess I will never know what I am missing, even at slower film speeds.

And I LOVE the saturation and contrast of reversal stocks, I am not alone there, I know. So maybe that it is why people go to the more contrasty look of bleach bypass.

I wish someone would come to me with a project to be shot entirely on reversal S16 mm, but I may have to do it myself . . .

As far as video goes, I have seen countless low budget films that all just look exactly the same by virtue of having being originated on film without a good DP to give it an "on camera" look, that I guess adding BB like contrast in post is the best way to separate it from the pack.

Edited by Saul Rodgar, 05 May 2008 - 11:18 AM.

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport