1 reply to this topic

#1 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

I just got word from Seth C King from Nashville-based Level 8mm that they are temporarily ceasing production of their pro-compatible Rod Support system designed for the Beaulieu 4008-series.

From my point of view, this is the only professional solution custom-offered for the Super 8 format in respect to compatibility with 16/35 rigs, used materials, quality and finish. It's capable of holding up to 2.5 lbs of direct weight under normal filming conditions. Tripod threads are normally standard 1/4-20, but 3/8 can be accommodated.

Supporting a Chrosziel 4x4 matte box w/filters and a large Arri follow focus, it looks just awesome.
What I particularly like is how it integrates well with the form factor and ergonomics of the Beaulieu 4008-series. While other solutions get foolishly rid of the pistol handgrip (Pro8mm) or are a bit on the woobly side (Bauer for their Bauer A 512 or Nizo for their Nizo 6080), Level 8mm's device integrates the design in a thought-trough way: for example, one's palm will still activate the power switch in the rear when shooting hand-held.

Seth wrote:

We're a small operation, just my brother and I, and we make each rod support to order.  As we both have full time jobs, it takes a little longer for us to get the product out.

My brother and I are about to cease "production" of the rod support for an extended period of time.  We may be back up in a couple of months, it may be longer. 

Each rod support sells for $250.00 (with reductions on multiple orders), so this isn't the cheapest solution, but it surely is the one leading one and frankly worth the money if you are looking for a S8 rig.

I really hope that Level 8mm isn't stopping production altogether as this would be a real shame.

Attached Images

• Level_8mm_Rod_Support_Rig.jpg
  • Level_8mm_Rod_Support_Front.jpg
  • Level_8mm_Rod_Support_Rear.jpg
  • Level_8mm_Rod_Support_Side.jpg
  • Level_8mm_Rod_Support_Bottom.jpg
  • Level_8mm_Rod_Support_Adjustments.jpg

#2 Glenn Brady

Glenn Brady
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:46 PM

Having purchased one of these rod supports in January 2007, I can attest that it's a very well-made and very useful accessory. I'm unaware of any other product that allows the use of industry-standard matte boxes with Beaulieu 4008 series cameras. Given the popularity of those cameras, it's surprising the Level8mm product wasn't widely adopted. In view of the cost of comparable systems, it's a bargain at $250.00.

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport