#1 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:08 AM

I notice this section is starting to accumulate posts along the general theme of how do you get moving image work in London. If anyone works it out then do let me know! :)

In the meantime I thought I would post this tip for unemployed movie people! Poundland presently have an offer of 5 VHS tapes for £1. Yes folks thats movies at 20p each!

I had a little look to see if there were any art house movies mixed in and the first one with intresting packaging that I picked up, clearly had the words "Agnes Varda" on the cover! My mouth fell open, the unsung heroine of the french new wave, her movies are so hard to get and here was one by her I'd never even heard of, "Vagabonds".

Suffice to say I'm now in possesion of VHS tapes of Solomon Yogalates, Tony Hawk's Trick Tips Vol II (skateboard), "women at war, spies and angels" and a film called "you can count on me". So maybe I will become Yoga skate punk spy nurse! Obviously someone has spent ages jiggling it so that whatever you buy you will get 4 very unlikely tapes partnered with it.

However I will be sure to watch the additional tapes because stuff like Yoga workout tapes are the kind of thing we excel at producing here in the u.k. these days so I'm sure I can pick up some production tips. Maybe I can event invent my own exercise revolution and call it freyga or something. Similar for the skateboard and tacky spies and nurses documentary that was probably made for ch5 but rejected, oh hang on no, it says "as seen on UK History" on the cover! Neat!

So lots here to get your teeth into for the u.k. unemployed/underemployed film maker!

Have fun!

love

Freya

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:11 AM

For my unemployed fun, I always enjoy watching youtube. . .at least it makes me feel "superior," as a shooter lol.

There was a time, here in Philadelphia, a book store did that, offering book-bags, a black plastic trash bag filled with books, for $1.50. Ahh the days of yore. . .

#3 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:31 AM

For my unemployed fun, I always enjoy watching youtube. . .at least it makes me feel "superior," as a shooter lol.

There was a time, here in Philadelphia, a book store did that, offering book-bags, a black plastic trash bag filled with books, for $1.50. Ahh the days of yore. . .

I seem to remember a shop called buck a book in Boston Mass but this was some years ago when the dollar was worth more. The best was dollar a pound where you could buy a pound in weight of clothing for 1 dollar! Great stuff!

You tube is certainly good therapy for those of us in the u.k. who might be lamenting our lack of well developed cinematography skills. Just fire up a random video and say "I am a talented cinematographer" and be thankfull to the universe for the wonderful skills you have.

love

Freya

#4 Will Earl

Will Earl
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Other
  • Wellington, NZ

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:28 PM

Yoga skate punk spy nurse!

You've just described my dream girl. :D

Thanks for the Poundland tip, I've been looking for the British equivalent of the $2 Shops (equal to about 78p) back home. Best places to find cheap disposable sunglasses and other tacky miscellaneous crap.

I think I spotted a place called Poundland the other day when I was wandering in Soho, but that could have been a different kind of shop.

#5 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:00 PM

I seem to remember a shop called buck a book in Boston Mass but this was some years ago when the dollar was worth more. The best was dollar a pound where you could buy a pound in weight of clothing for 1 dollar! Great stuff!

You tube is certainly good therapy for those of us in the u.k. who might be lamenting our lack of well developed cinematography skills. Just fire up a random video and say "I am a talented cinematographer" and be thankfull to the universe for the wonderful skills you have.

love

Freya

I thought I had you to thank for being in such great shape. I've been training to my Freygalates tapes every morning and I'm now practically an
athlete, plus I've picked up some lighting tips while working out. Are you sure you didn't do this series?

Buck a Book, or at least one of them, was on Tremont Street right opposite the Park Street station on Boston Common. It's a Dunkin' Donuts now.
Did you used to live here?

One of the local places for simple props is Boston Costume. It's not at all comparable to a prop house in Hollywood or anything but it's a pretty good resource and it's relocated to Cambridge where it shares space with a place called the Garment District, a funky thrift/vintage clothing place where I've found some
good wardrobe. The Garment District is famous for its section where it sells clothes for a dollar a pound.

#6 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:58 PM

I thought I had you to thank for being in such great shape. I've been training to my Freygalates tapes every morning and I'm now practically an
athlete, plus I've picked up some lighting tips while working out. Are you sure you didn't do this series?

Buck a Book, or at least one of them, was on Tremont Street right opposite the Park Street station on Boston Common. It's a Dunkin' Donuts now.
Did you used to live here?

One of the local places for simple props is Boston Costume. It's not at all comparable to a prop house in Hollywood or anything but it's a pretty good resource and it's relocated to Cambridge where it shares space with a place called the Garment District, a funky thrift/vintage clothing place where I've found some
good wardrobe. The Garment District is famous for its section where it sells clothes for a dollar a pound.

I lived there looooooong ago!
For about 6 months.
Yes the Garment District and dollar a pound! It was wonderful. Silk scarves cheap, heavy wooly jumpers expensive. It was lots of fun!

Does Boston Costume rent props as well as costumes?
I remember Super8 sound was in Cambridge too! Is it still there?

love

Freya

#7 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:32 PM

I remember Super8 sound was in Cambridge too! Is it still there?

Nope, Phil Vigeant closed the original Cambridge HQ after reducing it to a local branch, with the new Burbank seat becoming more and more important. Now, Super 8 Sound (renamed to Pro8mm) is solely operating from Burbank.

Willys Widgets

Opal

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS