7 replies to this topic

#1 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:38 AM

Okay, I was planning on brushing up on my 35mm operations when I came across my old Arri manuals. Cool.

But, I'm also interested in learning how to handle Sony's DVW series of cameras. Can anyone reccomend a rental house or training center that offers seminars and hands on training for these cameras?

Thanks much for any reply.

#2 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:08 AM

Hi

I don't know where your based so its hard to recommend a location for a camera course. But the camera is pretty common so a lot of rental companies should have them and be able to show you the basics.

I recommend Paul Wheelers book - '"Digital Cinematography", it covers the DVW series of cameras in some detail and goes through the menus of DVW700 and 790 - with recommended setups.

#3 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:06 AM

Hi

I don't know where your based so its hard to recommend a location for a camera course. But the camera is pretty common so a lot of rental companies should have them and be able to show you the basics.

I recommend Paul Wheelers book - '"Digital Cinematography", it covers the DVW series of cameras in some detail and goes through the menus of DVW700 and 790 - with recommended setups.

Sorry about that. I'm actually in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I did buy Paul Wheeler's book, and it's got lots of good info in it. He's got some definate opinions on what the cameras can and can't do. Great book. Still, I'd like to have some hands on training.

#4 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:33 AM

But, I'm also interested in learning how to handle Sony's DVW series of cameras. Can anyone reccomend a rental house or training center that offers seminars and hands on training for these cameras?

Why not look for some video DP/operator who is in need of an assistant? I learned lots about a number of ENG cameras by going that route... Most of the stuff I did was TV news and TV docos (e.g. a story about frozen food) stuff, but we also shot corporate videos as well.

Cheers, Dave

#5 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:31 AM

Why not look for some video DP/operator who is in need of an assistant? I learned lots about a number of ENG cameras by going that route... Most of the stuff I did was TV news and TV docos (e.g. a story about frozen food) stuff, but we also shot corporate videos as well.

Cheers, Dave

Thanks Dave

I hope I can hook up with some guy who doesn't mind training an older guy like me. I used to do grip work, stage managing, AD, and some camera ops. I've worked with cameras of all kinds, but have never got a full rundown on filters (lens and electronic), only looked at a vector scope and waveform monitor but was never trained on them, though I did run the deck on occasion.

I feel my skill set to be very incomplete, and was looking for some formalized training before putting my name out there as a camera assistant or "tech".

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

#6 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:17 AM

I hope I can hook up with some guy who doesn't mind training an older guy like me. I used to do grip work, stage managing, AD, and some camera ops. I've worked with cameras of all kinds, but have never got a full rundown on filters (lens and electronic), only looked at a vector scope and waveform monitor but was never trained on them, though I did run the deck on occasion.

Well, in my mind being a little older shouldn't really matter, as long as you're enthusiastic about learning and honing your skills. I'm sure you'll find someone. Maybe dp/operator is looking precisely for someone like you as in not having to put up with any childishness! :D Good luck!

Cheers, Dave

#7 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:37 AM

Well, in my mind being a little older shouldn't really matter, as long as you're enthusiastic about learning and honing your skills. I'm sure you'll find someone. Maybe dp/operator is looking precisely for someone like you as in not having to put up with any childishness! :D Good luck!

Cheers, Dave

I was feeling a little down, but reading this post puts me back on proper footing. Thanks again, Dave :)

#8 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:13 PM

I was feeling a little down, but reading this post puts me back on proper footing. Thanks again, Dave :)

You're very welcome. I know the feeling and how little/much (depends on how down you are :D) it takes to feel better!

Cheers, Dave

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Opal