Photo

super 8 film on miniDV tape, need help with settings on Final Cut and miniDV deck

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hank Chang

Hank Chang

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:40 AM

So I have a newbie question and need some help.

I've got a miniDV tape of super 8 footage that I need to capture with FCP5 for post. I filmed in 18fps and was on the Easy Setup menu in FCP trying to figure out what to do. I ended up picking Cinema Tools - 24fps from DV NTSC. I captured the footage but I'm wondering what I should do that I didn't.

Thanks!

#2 Sander Ferdinand

Sander Ferdinand
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Other
  • The Netherlands

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:06 AM

I don't know how FCP works, but i do know that you will always capture a miniDV tape at 24 fps. You choose NTSC, so this means you live in a NTSC area. If the footage was 18fps but captured at 24fps , the footage will be played faster then the original. I'm sure it's easy to slow the footage down in FCP.

Edited by Sander Ferdinand, 12 May 2008 - 08:08 AM.

#3 Douglas Hunter

Douglas Hunter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:54 PM

Actually you do not always capture at 24fps.

The frame rate you use to capture should be determined by the time base of the medium you are finishing to and your workflow.

The time code of your DV tape is 29.97. So if, for example, your final product will be standard definition video of any kind (DVD, miniDV, Digibeta, etc) Then you should just capture at 29.97, edit in 29.97 and go out to tape at 29.97.

With super 8 there are not many reasons to capture or edit in 24. There is no such thing as matching back to film in S8 and not many people finish to 24p HD so 29.97 is it for the majority of Super 8 projects. I suppose there is one other reason to edit in 24, and this would be if you wanted to post your video on the internet and have no split frames, then removing the pulldown is the way to go.

However since you shot at 18fps you are really out of luck, since FCP is not equipped to remove the pull-down used to bring 18fps up to 29.97. Unless . . . you telecined your footage at 24fps then you could remove the pulldown and slow your footage down to achieve natural looking motion.

#4 Sander Ferdinand

Sander Ferdinand
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Other
  • The Netherlands

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:33 PM

You're right. I'm in a PAL area so i confused 24 with 29.97.

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Glidecam

Tai Audio