#1 Ralph Tabith

Ralph Tabith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:22 PM

Well I saw this recently and thought, is this a worthwhile venture sending my hard worked short to be claimed by a big company. Basically its a competition for 2.5 minutes shorts to be loaded up to their website, judged etc and then printed to 35mm to be shown all over UK cinemas as well as others mediums. Then the final 12 get the chance to win £30k ($60k!) towards another short. It does seem like a good opportunity but I have a reservation about how they could use the short films easily out of context.....? I would like to come at it from a different angle of cynicism, but I dont know, its hard enough making short films in the Uk without carrots being dangled in your face and then to be made a public dancing bear for the money thrown from the table of the UKFC.

Or is this the opportunity we have been waiting for? I suppose its what you make of it...

Anyway it would be nice to know peoples opinions and if anybody has entered.

Virgin UK Short comp

Edited by Ralph Tabith, 14 May 2008 - 03:26 PM.

#2 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:03 PM

I think you sound too cynical B) .

Such patronage efforts have existed throughout filmmaking history, they just take new guises and shapes in their period.

What I can make out here is just a rather liberal, generous and public-facing and publicity-wrapped film competition, which fits into the Virgin Groups brand image and corporate history. Richard Branson - even though he might not have been involved with this project at all - also a very nice guy and absolutely trustworthy.

Would you rather have no Virgin effort, and just a state committee of grey old functionaries noding off or throwing out film scripts to be made "in the public interest" as was the case in the 1950s? I doubt most films made by forum members would have passed that hurdle.

Gosh, sometimes, I think people who where born and bread in the UK get overaffected by their inclination to descend in cynical self-pity about their living conditions and social/societal environs. Yeah, alot of stuff sucks here on this island and I wonder how Brits got in that mess (I guess it involved previously living Brits...), but even though I have the choice to go to many other countries for a living due to my background, I choose to stay here because it's a more liberal place than many seem to appreciate.

#3 Ralph Tabith

Ralph Tabith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:59 AM

I think you sound too cynical B) .

Such patronage efforts have existed throughout filmmaking history, they just take new guises and shapes in their period.

What I can make out here is just a rather liberal, generous and public-facing and publicity-wrapped film competition, which fits into the Virgin Groups brand image and corporate history. Richard Branson - even though he might not have been involved with this project at all - also a very nice guy and absolutely trustworthy.

Would you rather have no Virgin effort, and just a state committee of grey old functionaries noding off or throwing out film scripts to be made "in the public interest" as was the case in the 1950s? I doubt most films made by forum members would have passed that hurdle.

Gosh, sometimes, I think people who where born and bread in the UK get overaffected by their inclination to descend in cynical self-pity about their living conditions and social/societal environs. Yeah, alot of stuff sucks here on this island and I wonder how Brits got in that mess (I guess it involved previously living Brits...), but even though I have the choice to go to many other countries for a living due to my background, I choose to stay here because it's a more liberal place than many seem to appreciate.

Yes, perhaps I was being too cynical, its just strange that when things like this come along. I dont know of any other competition with the same "potential," in the prize it is offering. Perhaps I should shut my big mouth and enter something instead of berating it!

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11938 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:44 PM

30k is pretty cheap for that amount of free content...

P

#5 Will Earl

Will Earl
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Other
  • Wellington, NZ

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:40 PM

Yes, perhaps I was being too cynical...

Nothing wrong with being cynical, most of these 'competitions' are little more than a way to get ideas and content for low-low prices. Design us an album cover, finish off our music video, we want to make a television program and sell the DVD.

a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, sub-licensable right and licence

In other words... You give us the right to license your film worldwide and make money. Oh and we don't pay you nothing.

#6 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:36 PM

quod erat demonstrandum ;)

#7 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:41 PM

I have to say Michael i cant agree with you on feelings about Mr Branson having worked for one of his companies a long time ago in a very senior position as lighting director on a well known cable /sat. station , had lots of face to face meetings with him over loads of different issues mostly staffing . I dont have any knowledge of this competition thing ,ust know he just a self publists and dont trust him at all.

#8 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:25 PM

I am sorry to hear that, John. I met him during a panel debate and privately afterwards. It also featured Stelios from easyGroup (which whom I share my uni background with) and two further CEOs. Out of that round, Branson made the most reasoned and reflective impression, in public and in private, while I would like to say that Stelios is pumping alot of money into my former uni to allow several dozen students to do and complete a degree who would otherwise not be able to do so.

Not questioning or even doubting your impressions of him, maybe time, age and less need to prove himself and appease the ghosts that haunt and drive most of us, in one way or another, changed him from your experience to mine. Or maybe I just didn't have to work for him / endure him as my boss... :huh:

The two other CEOs (from the banking and consulting sector - no further names shall be given) made the impression of people who would best be put against the wall when the revolution comes...

Best wishes,

-Michael

P.S.: Incidently, an edition from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that I found recently on the Piccadilly Line mentioned those two CEOs as being the first to be put against the wall when the revolution came... ;)

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport