Ben Jasper

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:26 AM

Hi,

I am shooting a series of tvc's in China for a major men's face wash product. For one of the sequences (about 5 - 7 secs) we where hoping to shoot reversal film cross processed. However due to the lack of reversal film and the unwillingness of the lab to cross process in China this is no longer an option.
Another option, apart from trying to achieve the look in TC, is to shoot neg and get a graded w/print. Then treat the w/print as an interpositive and make a dupe neg from that without the orange mask. I think this will give me the colour shift and contrast I am after, I am just not sure about the amount of grain (sunset seq. so was thinking of using either 5217 or 5205)
I was wondering if anyone has tried this before or has any other suggestions.

Thanks. Ben Jasper
Dp - China
jasper_b@bigpond.net.au

#2 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:29 AM

Hey Ben,
So, are you still goign for the same look as what you would get with E-6 processed as ECN-2 negative? Or are you just looking for a color shift? Why not just shoot the '99 telecine-only stock and transfer that uncorrected? You'd have an OCN with the same (somewhat) characteristics of cross-processed E-6 as far as the mask was concerned, and maybe pushing a stop or two would bump the contrast up to a level comparable to E-6.

I'm not sure if your dupe neg from timed print method would work. Does IN stock not have an orange mask? I've never worked with it. In any case though, that seems to be needless cost and work as opposed to shooting '99. As a 35mm shoot, you might have a bit of difficulty finding the 35mm version of this stock. I know there are (were?) TV shows here in the states shooting it, so maybe you can get short-ends for this segment of the commercial. If it is only a 7-second clip, that'd be doable.

Good luck!

#3 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:33 AM

Hey Ben,
One final thought: If you can keep the film length reasonable (under 100 or 200 feet), you may be able to talk certain E6 labs that specialize in slides into processing long lengths of film. Try to find E6 labs that do work for fashion and other high-end clients. There are still some guys shooting 70mm 10 foot and 35mm 10m or 100 foot lengths of E6 in still photography.

Some of the labs have the machines, but haven't done it in a while, so it'll take some convincing. They'll need to have roller-transport machines to do this sort of work, so don't even talk to labs that say they have dip-and-dunk/Wing-Lynch E6 machines, as those won't take the lengths that you'll have.

#4 Ben Jasper

Ben Jasper

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:40 AM

Hi Karl,

Thanks for your response. Not sure I can get 99 here in China, but worth a shot in the future. Unfortunately, as happens alot here, the boards have changed and that sequence is gone.

So I will need to wait for another chance to try it.

Thanks again Karl

Ben Jasper
DP - China
jasper_b@bigpond.net.au

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post