#1 Clair Popkin

Clair Popkin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:25 AM

hey guys, first time pulling focus on a camera like this, two questions I was hoping you could help me with, what do I make my marks to hit? chalk on outside of lens or something of that nature- totally rookie question I know, one other this is do I measure to the end of the lens with this camera or is there a different spot to measure to? Thanks so much guys!

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:22 PM

What do I make my marks to hit? chalk on outside of lens?

You can use any number of things, just as you would with a film camera and lens. On the lens barrel itself, you can use a white grease pencil or some 1/4" paper tape which you can then mark up with a regular ball point oen or what have you. On the marking disc on the follow focus, I like to use a Lumocolor pen - it's erasable and fine tip, and comes in a variety of colors.

Do I measure to the end of the lens with this camera or is there a different spot to measure to? Thanks so much guys!

This depends on the lens you are using. If you're using an ENG lens (zoom with a zoom control built into the hand grip) you measure from the front element. If you're using a cine-style lens (with lens gears), you'd measure from the focal plane. The Zeiss Digiprimes actually shift the focal plane back by 17mm or so, so print out the sticker on the Bandpro site and measure from there. Of course you need to check the marks on the lens in prep to make sure they actually do match.

#3 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:41 PM

chalk on outside of lens or something of that nature

I like using a Stabilo water soluble pencil. White for marks on the barrel and black or an array of colors on the disc. They can be found at any art supply store. They're meant for water color so they wipe off easily with just a lick of the finger. A little moist toilette at the end of the shoot just to keep things sanitary is a good idea, though :)

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

CineTape

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Opal

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Visual Products