Photo

Any suggestions for "Flubber" type effect in FCP?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 03:04 AM

I'm doing a fun, free project for the local softball team and would like to have a scene with the pitcher tossing an unhittable pitch because the softball dances a bit. I have a couple of ideas but I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions for a fast down and dirty way to do this that might not look incredibly cheesy. Mildly cheesy no problem. I do have access to a good sized green screen but can't do any roto work on this one. Thanks.

#2 Will Earl

Will Earl
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Other
  • Wellington, NZ

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:01 AM

I'm not familar with FCP so I'm not sure what type of effects are available or how much control you have over them, but you could animate a distortion effect of some sort on the ball.

You could also stick the ball on a wire and puppeteer it in the shot (onset or in front of green) doing some wierd little dance along it's path, if your going for a slowmotion shot then get the actors to mime their actions.

#3 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:43 AM

I'm not familar with FCP so I'm not sure what type of effects are available or how much control you have over them, but you could animate a distortion effect of some sort on the ball.

You could also stick the ball on a wire and puppeteer it in the shot (onset or in front of green) doing some wierd little dance along it's path, if your going for a slowmotion shot then get the actors to mime their actions.

Thanks. I think that the second one might work well for this because it would be easy enough and yet a bit fun for me because I'm curious
as to how believeable laying in just the isolated ball would be in a shot from the side as compared to a shot straight on from behind the batter.

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:57 PM

For a view from behind the plate, you could use a flexible mirror to distort the ball. You could shoot the image in the mirror of the ball against a greenscreen. It would distort and dance a lot like you describe.

#5 Brian A Garnell

Brian A Garnell

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:55 AM

I'm doing a fun, free project for the local softball team and would like to have a scene with the pitcher tossing an unhittable pitch because the softball dances a bit. I have a couple of ideas but I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions for a fast down and dirty way to do this that might not look incredibly cheesy. Mildly cheesy no problem. I do have access to a good sized green screen but can't do any roto work on this one. Thanks.

Do the pitch/swing/acting with no ball, take a digital still of the ball, cut it out in photoshop, import into fcp, shrink it down to size and spinn it/move it around with the motion tab, add blur.

Lighting will be off, but the scene will generally have soft lighting and the ball will be spinning. It'll work for quick and dirty and mildly cheesy.

#6 Juha Leminen

Juha Leminen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • Finland

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:15 AM

I could do it in CGI if the footage is shot with cam in same position. Also with moving cam
if there is no ball in the shot. Some of my uncommercial CGI here My Website

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Visual Products

CineLab

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies