#1 wassimt

wassimt

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:25 AM

hello, i'd like to know what are the procedures to create an 8mm-like image on a video cam. any help?
thanks

#2 Douglas Hunter

Douglas Hunter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:14 PM

hello, i'd like to know what are the procedures to create an 8mm-like image on a video cam. any help?
thanks

The short answer is that it can't be done.

The long answer is that there are some things you can try that might work for your application. The first thing is using a good film grain plug in such as the pulg ins for After effects. The next thing is to work with color and contrast. Do you want a reversal or negative look? If you want reversal then experiment with bringing down your blacks and increasing contrast. Also reversal is often described as having "inky" color, that is, the colors are highly saturated and dense looking. Then you can also play around with simulating gate weave and dirt and scratches. Personally I do not like the way added dirt and scratches look, it very difficult to make them look organic.

also the HDV image is going to be sharper than a super 8 image so you may want to play around with adding some gaussian blur or defocusing your colors.

Another thing you can do is to actually shoot some super 8, project it and then re-photograph it using your video camera. The look you get will tend to be soft and the colors will be fairly vivid. It also tends to have a slight flicker. I've done this for a number of projects. Its a great, but very specific look, not for all applications.

#3 Justin Ferar

Justin Ferar

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Producer
  • Larkspur, CA

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:45 PM

A lot of people have spent most of their careers trying to do what you are proposing- there's no one answer but Douglas is on the right track.

What I wan't to know is what happens when you project HD footage and then shoot that with Super8! :blink:

#4 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:34 PM

What I wan't to know is what happens when you project HD footage and then shoot that with Super8!

Well, I guess based on the OP's premise, one would have replicated authentic video look with a Super 8 camera, of course! B)

----------------

Hi Wassimt,

1) when you registered, you were clearly and unmistakenly asked by the founders and custodians of this board to create a username out of your real first and last name. Unless wassimt is your one and only name, please go the My Controls section on the board in your browser window and amend your username to your first and last name, as everyone else here is doing. If you are unhappy with this requirement, please feel free to voice this in this thread over here!

2) As I disconnected with Panzony's consumer/prosumer gear model cycles a while ago due to it insulting many a humans intelligence, I thought I'll do some research on your video camera before posting to get full knowledge about its recording format and potential on-board features.
The first feedback I got on Google for "hdv-z1" is IMHO exemplifying what is so ill-fated about attempting to imitate or simulate the "film look" with machinery that still struggles to cultivate a video look: A person called "berniesp" posted on DVforum that...

I was planning to shoot HDV for the purposes of outputting to dramatic 35mm film. Today I went downtown prepared to buy the Sony Z1 HDV camera. That was until I read the pamplet on the new Panasonic AG-HVX200 camera. Panasonic claims it will shoot true HD at 24p. The cost will be under $10,000. When I explained my intentions to the salesman he said without question it would be worth my while waiting. Is there anyone in the same situation or anyone who could provide some input?

I acknowledge that not everyone will find above's statement as ludicrous and illogical as I do ? after all, I posted with a guy here who thought HD-DVD is the proper alternative to 65mm :wacko: ? but honestly: lasering rather compressed 1080i HDV onto Super 35..?! A $10K camera "worth the wait" for "proper" dramatic output onto cine-film?! I mean, *gulp*, it seems the marketing people really have achieved to have a big dump into their customers brainboxes to succesfully have put such grotesque logic to them?!

3) Anyway, while I wrote my reply, Douglas preceeded it, so there was no point in posting it anymore. Nevertheless, something gave me a penny of thoughtpower here..:
After having established that you own a "SONY HVR-Z1 Professional Widescreen Mini Camcorder" costing in the range of 4000 to 6000 USD (cf. nextag.com), I really wonder why - if you are not required to make already existing footage look "like 8mm film" (whatever aesthetical specifics that is actually supposed to include: grain? dirt? weave? Is that what makes cine-film "itself"? :huh: ) - why you just don't get a proper Super 8 camera off eBay for 30 bucks, get a cartridge of E-64 (good "nostalgic family film look") for 20 bucks, and telecine it at a place like Spectra with all included to miniDV or HDV which you can then input to your NLE system. That seems to me the most authentic and professional approach to achieve a specific "look"... And depending on what Super 8 camera you choose, you will be able to shoot with neg at a higher quality than 1080p and have gear that will hold its residuals better than any obsolescence-prone camcorder.

Just my $10K worth of thoughts,

Best wishes,

-Michael

#5 Mitch Perkins

Mitch Perkins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:53 AM

What I wan't to know is what happens when you project HD footage and then shoot that with Super8! :blink:

The resulting Super8 footage will flicker and have a severe blue cast.

Mitch

#6 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:09 AM

Ok, here is the proceedure:

Return the camera to the store

Buy a Canon 814XL off of ebay for $250

Use the price difference to buy all of the film and processing/telecine

Viola, authentic looking Super8 footage.

CineLab

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks