#1 Clair Popkin

Clair Popkin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:11 AM

Hey I was wondering what settings/techniques you all use to reduce the noise in the blacks and dark areas, I seem to always have noise/grain even with out any gain, I have been playing around with the master ped and seeing what happens lately to try and change it- Any tips or techniques would be appreciated- Thanks!

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11948 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:33 AM

Reducing master ped (or any of several other black-level-related controls) will ordinarily reduce apparent shadow noise at the expense of crushing areas where it appears to solid black. Black gamma or similar controls can often crush the blacks without affecting the rest of the image.

Eventually you will get diminishing returns on this sort of chicanery, however. As you crush blacks you are effectively stretching out other parts of the image to fit, resulting in more noise in those areas. Costs you precious dynamic range, too.

P

#3 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:13 PM

Reducing master ped (or any of several other black-level-related controls) will ordinarily reduce apparent shadow noise at the expense of crushing areas where it appears to solid black. Black gamma or similar controls can often crush the blacks without affecting the rest of the image.

Eventually you will get diminishing returns on this sort of chicanery, however. As you crush blacks you are effectively stretching out other parts of the image to fit, resulting in more noise in those areas. Costs you precious dynamic range, too.

P

phil, after 56XX posts why are you still "basic" member? :lol:

#4 dan brockett

dan brockett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Producer

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:31 PM

Hey I was wondering what settings/techniques you all use to reduce the noise in the blacks and dark areas, I seem to always have noise/grain even with out any gain, I have been playing around with the master ped and seeing what happens lately to try and change it- Any tips or techniques would be appreciated- Thanks!

Hi Clair:

I have seen some pretty amazing results from Raylight MXFX http://www.dvfilm.com/MXFX/index.htm

If you want to reduce grain with HVX footage, this is the hot tip. Sorry, don't have links to the demos but you can find them if you scrounge around on the DVX User website. It really works quite well. This is a viable solution until the HPX-170 is available. HPX-170 uses same chipset as HVX-200a, which many users are claiming is MUCH less noisy than original HVX, someone said HVX-200a at +9dB gain is slightly less grain than older HVX at 0dB.

Good luck,

Dan

#5 John-Erling Holmenes Fredriksen

John-Erling Holmenes Fredriksen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Oslo, Norway

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:23 PM

The other solution is to light your dark areas too, lifting them a bit on set, and then bringing them down if you want in post. (Be sure to use very soft non-directional light, or it could look unnatural. You don't want a motivated source, just a bit "lighter" darks).

Edited by John-Erling Holmenes Fredriksen, 01 June 2008 - 04:24 PM.

#6 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:51 AM

The other solution is to light your dark areas too, lifting them a bit on set, and then bringing them down if you want in post. (Be sure to use very soft non-directional light, or it could look unnatural. You don't want a motivated source, just a bit "lighter" darks).

Do you use Final Cut Pro? I do and I've been editing for a long time but I'm now getting more into modifications in post. Could you say
how to bring the dark areas down in Final Cut Pro? Is there a way to do so without also bring the entire picture down?

Thanks.

#7 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:53 PM

3 way color corrector in FCP will allow you to do this marginally;
aside from that, in studio 2 you could throw a curve on via apple color, and set exactly where you want your blacks/whites to start rolling off; but the render time can be a pain! (for color).

Granted, though, all these solutions will bring other areas down, just in varying degrees, ya know? The black level in color correctors also will bleed into the middle-range, and the middle into the whites; ya know? It's some fine tweaking from time to time.

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Opal

Paralinx LLC