Stanley Kubrick vs Marlon Brando

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:42 AM

Anyone have stories about what really went on? Besides the open material on imdb, etc.

#2 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2250 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:45 AM

Think you will find they just did not get on , happens all the time you will find that out as you age a bit .

#3 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:08 PM

Think you will find they just did not get on , happens all the time you will find that out as you age a bit .

I'm interested in the details, UK filmmaking 'savant' versus NYC method actor 'genius'.

#4 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2250 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:14 PM

Well at that time Kubrick hadnt set foot [ as a film maker] in the Uk they both came from NYC you really have to try harder before posting on here !!

#5 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:59 PM

I think even Juniors realise that some folks just don't get on and should just move on, John. I fear I must take the seniority advantage away from you in that respect :P .

Anyone have stories about what really went on? Besides the open material on imdb, etc.

I think that this is the long-seached-fro proof that the IMDB forums really have become "The Sun" of cinematography...

#6 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:24 AM

Well at that time Kubrick hadnt set foot [ as a film maker] in the Uk they both came from NYC you really have to try harder before posting on here !!

typos aside, Us vs Uk, you still missed the point of the question, maybe you should try harder at getting the context of the question? the intent is to have 'old timers' who have actual knowledge of details of what went on to share what they know. your delving into obvious non-sequitars is pointless.

#7 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:27 AM

I think even Juniors realise that some folks just don't get on and should just move on, John. I fear I must take the seniority advantage away from you in that respect :P .

I think that this is the long-seached-fro proof that the IMDB forums really have become "The Sun" of cinematography...

i just didn't see the need to post the 8 other websites.

again, you missed the point as well, see other post. so yes it is obvious some people should just move on if you can't understand the context of the post.

if you want to post some personal ramblings or ranting about IMDB, start your own post.

#8 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:01 AM

Glen,

let me try to put it in a more polite way, then...

I think you missed the point of this very forum... this is an exchange for professional needs and assistance. Many people here indeed work regularly with people who the average cineaste only knows from the titles or credits. Inevitably, when working with these people, you experience and realise personal traits and characteristics that are other not flattering or you come across indiscretions that are known in the industry but - which is where the professional bit comes in - you just don't blow about in public.

This is the case in cinematography, in government politics, in corporate contexts or any other area you might work in, like the local photocopy kingdom or McD.

So if you want to read about the personal clashes, misunderstandings, drug addictions, the incredible sensitivity, utter kindness or plain ignorance or abyssal incompetence of people in this or any other industry, the yellow press parts of cinematography would be the place to go. You will find that this place here is - due to the professional stance - not one that washes dirty laundry - esp. if there wasn't anything dirty in the first place.

By the way, of those UK members here, senior or junior, who had the honour of working or even just only meeting Stanley would certainly not tresspass on what was most important to him and his family, namley his pricacy.

I know that this post isn't answering your question, but I think it makes a point. I apologise if this wasn't more helpful. I guess I can't be helped B) .

-Michael

#9 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:41 PM

The point was not about dragging people's memory through the mud but an exploration of their creative differences.

The processes, techniques, the craft of film making and what vision each one had is the objective of discussion.

I read Brando sat on a beach for hours and hours just waiting for the right moment for the 'waves' to be 'dramatic' for a particular scene. Brando was an original and far as I can tell the only "Method director".

Kubrik wanted much more of a 'surreal' film with lots of deep, contrasting, and dramatic colors, French farm houses, whereas Brando wanted 'realism', gritty, dirty, and sweatty.

These kinds of ideas say nothing to besmerch anyone's memories or personalities, it is about artistic expression and how they differed.

I could care less about gossip and airing dirty laundry.

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS