1 reply to this topic

#1 Rich Hibner

Rich Hibner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:03 PM

I'm debating whether or not to use scene settings in my camera. DVX/HVX. Would it be safer to use the default and color correct later or use scene settings in the camera and possibly feel like you might be stuck. I, however, prefer to have the look when I'm shooting but a debate came up between me and my friend and he argues that you shouldn't. What's your opinion.

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:49 PM

By all means you should test and try out different scene settings with these cameras. There's really no such thing as "default" in this case, just settings that someone at Panasonic decided was "normal." Try things out before an important shoot so that you get an idea of what the camera can do, and how it affects the image. Barry Green's book and DVD are a good place to start for some info.

With video you can only manipulate what you capture in camera. In other words, if the shadows are crushed too dark or the whites are clipped you can never get them back in post. If you're planning on tweaking the image in post it's safer to err on the side of lower contrast, slightly underexposed and slightly saturated color so that you have the most picture information to play with later. But it's usually better to get the look pretty close to what you want in-camera with MiniDV, since the compression throws away a lot of color information. There's no absolute right or wrong way to approach it.

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC