#1 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:29 PM

Just watched The Beast of Yucca Flats. It came in from Netflix. It took them a while to get it to us. You're right about it, Leo. It has no sync sound. They used stock, thriller music to fill in the silence. They also looped on either wide, long shots or on cut-aways. The narration was beyond redundant. I can't even count how many times the narrator said, "Joseph Javorsky, noted scientist." It also looked like they had Tor Johnson for a limited time and had to shoot the sub-plot of the poor Mr. Radcliff running through the desert and getting shot at from a plane by the deputy.

My wife and I laughed our butts off it was so bad... so bad it was good. I really think that if you tried to make something this camp and this bad, it would show as just that. It takes something like this, where they tried to make a legitimate movie that worked out badly to be this camp and this funny. We got the extended cut (54 minutes run time) that had the opening shots of the skinny woman and her bullet boobies in the frame. Woohoo!

I have to say that the loops hidden on the cutaways were not so disturbing. It was the all around, bad quality loops that burdened the scenes. I think it is possible to shoot a movie with the vocal on the cutaways. The viewer may get used to the movie's internal, audio logic and forget about the non-sync dialog. Just record the dialog so it seems to be motivated within the environment of the scene and it just might fly. There may be some way to shoot the opening shots of the movie in sync sound and gradually move the editing pace over to vocal cut-aways over the first five minutes or so. People might even think it had artistic merit instead of just being broke-ass, cheap methodology.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc