Samuel Kuhn

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Director

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:12 PM

Hey folks,

I'm new here on this board, this is my first post. What a great group of people on here! What I'm posting is my demo reel from this year, please take a look. I'd love some criticism or ideas people have. This is a rough cut of the reel, so please let me know what ya think.

http://samuelkuhn.co...folioReel09.mov

Thanks everyone!

Sam

#2 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:44 PM

Cool stuff. My favorite shots are in the middle of the reel, the paper plane flying through the frame. Good job. What camera did you use, HVX 200?

#3 Mihai Nicolau

Mihai Nicolau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Other
  • Bucharest, Romania

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:45 AM

Really nice! But i wanted to ask how did you do the paper plane flying thorugh the guys legs ? Was it post or did they really managed to pull this of ?

#4 Matt Read

Matt Read
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:45 PM

I'd break up the snowboarding and skateboarding footage. While it's very good looking, having the first half of your reel be solid boarding makes it seem like you're just some dude who bought a camera and went out and filmed his friends. I'd move the color skateboarding footage later in the reel to break it up.

Also, I don't much care for the shot of the two guys in the dorm room (?). It looks flat and it's boring when compared to the rest of your work.

I thought the inclusion of some dialogue was a nice touch for the most part. I have two suggestions with regards to that. First, I'd start it sooner. It comes out of the blue in the second half. It'd feel more unified if you have at least one snippet of dialogue in the first half, preferably as close to the beginning as possible. Second, I didn't like dialogue with the guy and girl on the bike though. While the words themselves are interesting, their performances are forced. ADR that with better performances or get rid of it.

These suggestions are fairly nit-picky. Overall, very nice work.

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

CineTape

Abel Cine

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly