Damien Ronget

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:52 AM

Hi everyone,

First I have to apologize for my english level, be lenient with me please. :lol:

I'm a french student in ESRA Paris, and I'm making a thesis about "American Gangster" by Riddley Scott and the work of cinematographers Harris Savides.
I would like to compare the image results with 70's movies style.

So I'm looking for information about the stocks and process used in Serpico (1973), French Connection (1971) and Prince of the City (1981). Negative and Positive stocks (sensitometric curves if you have it etc...) and maybe special process.

Thank you for your attention.

#2 Ignacio Aguilar

Ignacio Aguilar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Madrid, Spain

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:56 PM

"The French Connection" and "Serpico" were shot on the only available Kodak stock of the era, 5254 (100 ASA). Owen Roizman used to rate it at 200 ASA and then push it one stop in development, thus the gritty & grainy look of Friedkin's picture. "Prince of the City" was most likely shot using Kodak 5247 (125T), which had obsoleted 5254 in 1976. I don't know what special processes were used for "Serpico" and "Prince of the City" as I hadn't seen it for years, but if my memories are correct, I would asume they pushed the stocks or printed them up.

Search the archives to find discussions about Savides work. There have been lots of threads about the 70's look (use 5254 or 5247 as keywords).

#3 Damien Ronget

Damien Ronget

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:43 AM

Thank you very much for all those informations. ;)

#4 Jim Carlile

Jim Carlile
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:26 AM

'American Cinematographer' magazine is also a great source for 70's movies. They always had detailed articles with exactly that kind of information, every issue. There should be an academic or film library in Paris that has copies of this publication.

#5 Damien Ronget

Damien Ronget

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:43 AM

Yes i know the "American Cinematographer". The BIFI in Paris had some of 70's publication and will take a look, thank you. ;)

I'm still looking for the sensitometric curves of the 5254 (i've found the 5247) so if someone had an old technical data of this stock, i will be very grateful. :D

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

The Slider