17 replies to this topic

#1 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:31 PM

Ok, so I'm hired for a gig. There is a swimming pool. It's rather large. Just looking around and see that David Mullen is on the other side and understand he too is hired for the job. I'm excited to do the job but not sure yet what it entails and how David and I are going to fit in. Suddenly I wake up in the dream. The crew is laughing. I'm next to a transvestite. Turns out they have put 'ruffies' (the date rape drug) in a drink of mine as a practical joke, which made me pass out and the transvestite has had his way with me while I was passed out or so I think. Everyone is smiling and I am pretty kind to agree it was a funny joke. Thankfully I wake up.

Guess after a few weeks of not sleeping more than four five hours, that is not all that bad. Man am I afraid to sleep as of late!!

#2 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:44 PM

That is most disturbing. A shrink might say your dreams are revealing suppressed desires. Hey, whatever floats your boat.

#3 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:04 PM

Ok, so I'm hired for a gig. There is a swimming pool. It's rather large. Just looking around and see that David Mullen is on the other side and understand he too is hired for the job. I'm excited to do the job but not sure yet what it entails and how David and I are going to fit in. Suddenly I wake up in the dream. The crew is laughing. I'm next to a transvestite. Turns out they have put 'ruffies' (the date rape drug) in a drink of mine as a practical joke, which made me pass out and the transvestite has had his way with me while I was passed out or so I think. Everyone is smiling and I am pretty kind to agree it was a funny joke. Thankfully I wake up.

Was there a cut off ear floating in the pool?

Edited by Glen Alexander, 06 June 2008 - 10:04 PM.

#4 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:14 AM

Guess after a few weeks of not sleeping more than four five hours, that is not all that bad. Man am I afraid to sleep as of late!!

Was it a really good looking transvestite, because that might not be too bad!!! :D Dude, don't worry about it, I think you'd probably know if you're gay or not by now and to quote South Park, "Everybody's a little gay" so just forget about it. I think this may be more of a loss of control issue or something like that. Maybe the transvestite is metaphoric and for some reason you feel you you are being forced to do something in your waking life you really don't want to do. Freud believed that dreams are " the forbidden thoughts and the unconscious desires"of the dreamer but he's been proven wrong on almost every theory he ever hypothesized so this dream MAY be a secret desire....or maybe you had some bad pizza. It really doesn't mean anything. When you you get the urge to start French kissing guys in dresses, start worrying OR just accept it and do what makes you happy, but UNTIL that happens just get some sleep and stop worrying about it, the human mind is FAR too complex and wondrous for you to loose sleep over one stupid dream. B)

#5 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:30 AM

I'm not a psychologist. I just play one on TV.

My observation about dreams can involve determining the emphasis of the symbols. If the dream was about gayness, it might include some actual sex. This dream's emphasis seems to lean in favor of deception. Most dreams are plain old gibberish. Sometimes, problem solving dreams can pop-up. Given the stress you are under, could your brain be trying to solve a sense of mistrust about the people you are working with? Sometimes the subconscious can pick up stuff and let you know about it in a dream. My brain has figured stuff out in my dreams that I was just too thick to catch in my conscious life.

However it turns out for you, Walter, I hope you can acquire some peace of mind from it.

#6 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:26 AM

Great responses. Not looking to solve it from my end. It's the subconcious and it thinks quite erratically so I'm not worried. No the transvestite was not cute. Basically looked like Joey Ramone. Nice guy though. And the crew was quite nice too. Everyone including me had a laugh. Just sort of scarey waking up in the dream and not knowing what happened to me. Thankfully I could wake up from that. As for gay, not gay, have no desires to be. And if I was I'd hope to be with a better looking guy than what I ended up with.

#7 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:23 PM

Sounds more like a trip to the 'Rocky Horror Picture Show'.... did people sing and dance? :lol:

Edited by Glen Alexander, 07 June 2008 - 01:24 PM.

#8 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:30 PM

Uh, the transvestite having his way with you...

Did he give you a make over and dress you up as girly as Brad Pitt in 'Troy'?

#9 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:37 PM

My weirdest dream was that I was the Invisible Man, except that everyone could see me and I was naked, being chased through the woods by a pack of hunting dogs led by Eliot Gould and Pope John Paul II.

#10 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:56 PM

Jeez, my strangest only involved my dog chasing after a bus and morphing into a T-Rex sized animal Al'La Jurassic Park 2 while I screamed after on a pink bike with a pinwheel on it, and there was something with scorpions.

#11 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:30 PM

My weirdest dream was that I was the Invisible Man, except that everyone could see me and I was naked, being chased through the woods by a pack of hunting dogs led by Eliot Gould and Pope John Paul II.

Not as bad as being chased by Scientologists.

Recently dreamed I was flying from the South Hills to Side Side late at night. The flying was more like treading water at a second story height, not very fast but not as bad as having to walk it.

#12 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:16 PM

Wow, except for the nakedness, that reminds me of a scene from the movie "Luther" with Joseph Fiennes.

I am curious, how were you the invisible man when you were naked and everyone could see you? Sortof like the Emperor's new clothes?

#13 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:13 AM

As a kid I would astral travel. That's the corny name for lucid dreaming. I mean LUCID! They were long drawn out events of fascinating delight involving flying, exotic locations and really cool people. Then, puberty came and took all that away. I like getting laid, so, the trade wasn't so bad.

#14 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 08 June 2008 - 01:07 AM

:blink: OK, you win hands down :unsure: I don't even think I've had a THOUGHT that weird. Now I'm kinda jealous that I'm not creative enough to even come close to having that interesting of a dream. :D

My weirdest adult weird dream was I was trying to get into this mansion that looked like a haunted house on a bayou. It was dark and errie, but for some reason I wasn't scarred. It was surrounded by water and there were these wooden paths like a piers that led up to and surrounded the house. there was a light on inside and I don't even remember why I needed to get in, I think it was to save someone but no matter what I did I couldn't. the wood path around the house began to break up because I was using such force to try and get in and I fell into the water and had to swim around the house. It was strange.

When I was a kid I dreamt I was in the desert with a lot of people and this armada flying saucers landed. The doors on the ships opened and these ant like creatures poured out to concur the Earth and when they touched you you froze motionless in place. Everyone began to run but the ants were touching all these people around me they were being frozen in place. I knew they were goners.I wanted to fight them but I was too scarred and didn't know how so I ran. It kinda bothered me at the time that I acted like a coward because I didn't try and help anyone, I just ran, 'course I was only about 9. Nowadays I'd probably realize that getting frozen along with the rest wouldn't do me or anyone else any good, I needed to survive so that I that I could get to a giant can of Raid and save the Earth. :D

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 08 June 2008 - 01:09 AM.

#15 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 08 June 2008 - 01:16 AM

As a kid I would astral travel.

I do that now!...........usually when I'm driving. :D

#16 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:19 AM

I have two common dreams while making a movie:

By the middle of the shoot, I dream that I'm trying to escape from a prison and usually the AD is the warden, on the walkie to his PA's to tell them to catch me as I escape (usually I'm digging a tunnel).

At the end of the shoot, and for a week afterwards, I have these awful repetitive, boring, and tedious dreams of lighting my bedroom over and over again while I'm trying to sleep in my bed, the bed surrounded by crew people hanging lights over me and asking for instructions.

#17 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:18 PM

What I find both fascinating and great is how open and narratively clear you can all write about your dreams, plus publish it to the public.

A friend of mine here in Hampstead is a psychoanalyst (a good place to work in this profession, I guess) and he once told me - re. discussing interpreting dreams - that most of his patients/clients do need 3 to 4 sessions to provide a clear narrative of their dreams.

I guess you two, Walter and David, could save a lot of shrink costs.

From my own experience, if I am able to remember a dream (even though I remember them clearly when waking up, they vanish from my mind rapidly from my memory over the following moments..., like sand running through a hand), those that are very clearly preoccupied with work issues (like those from your last post, David) and do not feature surreal contexts (as those previously posted) is just down to neuronal activity of the brain dealing with stress situations and work anxiety one is currently in, essentially ordering thought patterns in relation to the day-to-day living while asleep.
When the metaphors and settings become more like lost scripts from Lynch and Cronenberg combined, to speak with Walter, they are concerned with very funda-mental issues of one's life in respect to societal pressures one adopts unwillingly, past experiences influencing behavioural traits of today one actually would like to shed, in relation to one's vulnerabilities and contentedness and ability to express one's sexual needs (or not) and so on and so forth...

Funnily enough, I can't remember now having had a (technical or practical) cinematography-related dream... ever... :huh: ... what's wrong with me?!?
However, after some movie screenings, I dream of being part of specific set-ups of the seen film, or living through episodes that contain something that features elements of that film... if you know what I mean... :unsure:

#18 Damien Bhatti

Damien Bhatti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 213 posts
  • Student
  • UK

Posted 08 June 2008 - 01:52 PM

Well dreaming has to be one of my favourite past times - free natural organic personal movies. One of natures best inventions. I remember one dream I had a long time ago, for some reason I was visiting a Dr's surgery in some back alley, broken flickering neon lights and rain water leaking through the roof. Inside the surgery I sat on a dilapidated dentists chair, I had a scapel in my hand and I began to cut a large square out of my wrist. It turned out to be like a little door that could be opened up on a hinge and inside, this is the strange thing, was film going around like a projector and the thoughts that I was thinking of were the images printed onto the film.

A few of my dreams involve premonitions of events that take place in the future, or events that I subjectively link the dream to, like having a big argument with someone and then 2 days later, it actually happens. But I havent had those dreams for awhile.

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Opal

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Glidecam

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets