#1 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:38 PM

Just watched If... on my big movie wall from a Criterion DVD. Anyone here seen it? It cut back and forth from color to the occasional B & W. According to IMDB's info, it was done on purpose. I have to say that I found the technique very effective. My sensations on it were that on the color scenes, the image came out to me. On the B & W shots, I projected back to the screen. This is similar to a trick we used in painting where reds project from out of the canvas and blues recede into the canvas. This cutting back and forth with color and B & W is a trick I'd like to steal (excuse me, appropriate).

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:22 AM

Apparently, reason behind the switching was they that shot B & W when they didn't have enough money left to shoot colour. This seems to be reason why there's no logic to the changes from B & W to colour in the film.

Of course, directors love recreating little myths around their films, but this seems a logical reason. Since the audiences don't know this, they only see what's presented to them on the screen and so create their own take on the visual effect.

#3 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:43 PM

They pushed the story that it was for artistic reasons for a long time, but decades later the director admitted that it was because they ran out of money for the more expensive color stock. Why they didn't print everything B&W is beyond me, but I guess they could at least advertize it as a color film (well, partially).

#4 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:54 AM

Tarkovsky's Stalker also switches back and forth between color and b&w for apparently the same reason.

#5 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:51 PM

This is similar to a trick we used in painting where reds project from out of the canvas and blues recede into the canvas.

this seems to be used on Conan O'Brian's opening monologues.

#6 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:56 PM

Tarkovsky's Stalker also switches back and forth between color and b&w for apparently the same reason.

I suppose so, yet there seems to be a logic to it.

Inside the zone it seems to be summer, yet outside, it's winter. So the b/w eliminates any green that may be in the train yard. And anything on the outside which has been touched by the zone, the stalker's child, is color.

#7 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:44 PM

To be honest I haven't analyzed Stalker for any color/b&w motivation. I recall there is one scene which starts in color (where the Stalker lays down in grass) and the next tracking shot is in b&w, ending on him again (or something along that vein).

I remember Tarkovsky in his diaries complaining about the small amount of filmstock they got.

#8 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:40 PM

To be honest I haven't analyzed Stalker for any color/b&w motivation. I recall there is one scene which starts in color (where the Stalker lays down in grass) and the next tracking shot is in b&w, ending on him again (or something along that vein).

I remember Tarkovsky in his diaries complaining about the small amount of filmstock they got.

It's been quite a while since I've seen the film. There might be scenes that contradict my thesis.

i would think that he would try to put some order in the stocks he was given.

When life gives you limes, make gimlets.

#9 Tim Partridge

Tim Partridge
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:07 PM

Why they didn't print everything B&W is beyond me,

I haven't seen the film in years, but wasn't the colour stuff intended to be lit and exposed rather low contrast and soft (i.e. it wouldn't hold up printed b/w)?

Always makes me laugh that Lindsey Anderson rated this in his top ten films list!

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera