7 replies to this topic

#1 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:55 AM

Hi, just wondered if anyone else has transport issues with 64t, i have suffered an unstable image with batch '309', the same batch jams up my canon 514xl camera which is in full working order. Now today, tried to perform a lap dissolve on my 1014xls and the camera having none of it. It starts to backwind then stops, old cart of k40 is perfect. Camera 100% operational.

Edited by andy oliver, 08 June 2008 - 09:56 AM.

#2 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:37 AM

Andy,

I acknowledge and confirm similar problems with Batch 309!!

Various cameras, all CLA, unsteady image, troublesome transportation, bad projection quality...

We are doing further research on this, my brother and myself. Seems to be a part of a wider Super 8 quality issue, actually....

My bro' shoots some Batch 310 carts soon in CH, so we will know if the problem was contained within 309 or not.

If you need any further info from me (cams used, details, etc.) for your own investigation, I can go into greater details.

For now, this is just 'Breaking News' for me, so I try to figure out the damage occured to shot material and resulting costs... let alone potential re-shoots...

#3 Alessandro Malfatti

Alessandro Malfatti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Other
  • Barcelona, Spain

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:19 PM

I had a similar problem, the film was just stuck at the beginning (CLA cam), it was kinda discouraging, as it was my first roll, and I didn't get some things I was "filming". I had to take the cartridge out twice and advance the film a little, it seemed to be just sticking or something. After that it worked fine though, image wasn't even unstable. Would have to check the batch, though...

#4 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:29 PM

Alessandro, if you could check the batch number should you find some spare time and will of effort, it would be appreciated. Thanks, -Michael :)

#5 Jean Beaudoin

Jean Beaudoin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • MontrĂ©al

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:03 PM

I encountered the similar problems with the dreaded Kodak 64T batch 309
using both my CLAs Nizo Pro and Beaulieu 4008 shooting a title sequence using
cards even though I did the usual pre-loading taping, winding and praying protocol !
No jams but sooooo noisy and forget about registration. Not doing any dissolves or
double exposure at all, I can only guess what it would have been.
I also ran into worse jittering using Plus-X. Vision II 200 and 500 are less problematic it seems.
Good luck :unsure:

#6 Alessandro Malfatti

Alessandro Malfatti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Other
  • Barcelona, Spain

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:17 AM

Alessandro, if you could check the batch number should you find some spare time and will of effort, it would be appreciated. Thanks, -Michael :)

I've looked for it, but I threw the box away, sorry! :(

#7 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:14 PM

No problemo, it was very probably 309.

After a most kind clarification from one source ( ;) ) and getting info from my brother and via Kodak CH on different batch reels, I am sure that the current 311 batch of E-64 will NOT (or really shouldn't, to put it more mildly) have any transportation issues of very similar kind that several users here and elsewhere experienced with with good gear over a specific period of time. Let's trust that Kodak sorted that out by now.

Any further info about problems from any reader of this thread would be appreciated, by the way.

EDITED!

#8 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:20 PM

Sorry, Netherlands just scored 3:1 against France while I was typing above post.

The edited version reads as it should, namely correctly...:

"I am sure that the current 311 batch of E-64 will NOT (or really shouldn't, to put it more mildly) have any transportation issues"

and not that 311 batch will have issues, as was briefly posted until I corrected the missing negation.

Cheers,

-Michael

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Opal

Aerial Filmworks