Greg Sherris

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:26 PM

Hi

I'm on a fairly tight budget to light a small cooking set. I light most things I do primarily with tungsten, so I'm looking for a bit of input from anyone who might be willing to share their thoughts.

The action area is about 15' (L) x 10' (W). I'd give the exact measurements, but the drawings are at work. It will likely be shot with 3 HD PTZ cameras and occasionally a handheld or tripod mounted XDCAM HD camera.

In terms of a look, I plan to use tungsten-balanced fluorescents and I'm shooting for a soft, warm look. I plan to use dimmable fixtures to give the most flexibility and to reduce light to help force the irises open to shorten depth as much as possible. I'm fairly certain the PTZs won't have ND. However, the budget may dictate non-dimmable fixtures.

So in terms of a setup this is what I am thinking:
2 Lowel fluo-tec 250 (2 lamp fixtures) with barn doors and honeycomb grids for keys, 2 Lowel 250s with barn doors and honeycomb grids for side fills, 2 Lowel 250s with barn doors and honeycomb grids for back lights, 2 lowel 450s for audience lights and some DMX controlled LED lights for accents.

I'm wondering if I will I get adequate coverage or do I need to go to 3 keys across the front?

This puts my budget at about $15000.00(CAN), which is a bit high. Can I get away with the non-dimmable 4-lamp lowel e-studio lights, but put lighting controls like honeycombs, doors and intensifiers on them for a savings of about 1/3 and still get the look I'm shooting for?

If anyone has any experience with the lowels or similar lights for similar purposes, I would be very appreciative of your input.

thanks
Greg Sherris

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks