Photo

Time code slates-Requesting a brief tutorial.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:36 AM

I know nothing about time code slates and in my every present quest to fill the void of things I DON'T know about filmmaking, can someone explain how they work, how they're hooked up and logged, ect, ect, ect. Diagrams, photos, drawings, text, pie-charts, pictures by your 6 year old done in crayon who probably knows more about time code slates than I do, anything that would be helpful would be appreciated. :D

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 09 June 2008 - 03:38 AM.

#2 John Brawley

John Brawley
  • Sustaining Members
  • 834 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta Georgia

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:18 AM

I know nothing about time code slates and in my every present quest to fill the void of things I DON'T know about filmmaking, can someone explain how they work, how they're hooked up and logged, ect, ect, ect. Diagrams, photos, drawings, text, pie-charts, pictures by your 6 year old done in crayon who probably knows more about time code slates than I do, anything that would be helpful would be appreciated. :D

There are two ways to run a TC slate. And there are two popular brands. The deneke or the ambient. The deneke might be more likely in your neck of the woods but they are both pretty much the same.

I prefer the ambient casue it's smaller, and has a small single LED that pulses when you clap.

90% of the time the TC slate is simply displaying TC transmitted (or maybe even cabled) from the audio recorder. (or even camera)

So you need a TX and RX for wireless and they aren't always included. plug in the TX to the TC out of the recorder. Strap the receiver onto the slate and off you go. Just like wireless audio.

Ofter recordists will program the date into the user bits and these can be displayed on the slate once you clap.

The other way you can run a TC slate is to JAM sync it, which is more common with video cameras and aatoncode / TOD code jobs.

Again you have a master clock, usually run by the sound department. All cameras and the slate have a small clock attached which is jammed and re-jammed usually every 4 hours.

TC is in the form of SMPTE code so it's pretty simple to make it work in both scenarios. It's like audio really.

Both slates have two brightness positions for the display. You only need the brightest setting when shooting outdoors. Read that sentence again. It's not uncommon, especially if shooting high speed film to throw some FULL CTB or ND over the display to dull it back from even the dimmer setting. It's not so much of a problem with Digital cameras.

It might run on C cells if it's a deneke or it may have been modified to run of an NP1 which should run them for a whole day.

I presume you know all the other regular slating rules.

jb

#3 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:21 PM

The only thing I know about them is that someone from sound hands it to me in the morning, rejams it at lunch, and takes it again at wrap.;)

Glidecam

CineLab

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Technodolly

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera