1 reply to this topic

#1 Mike Nichols

Mike Nichols
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Producer

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:20 PM

I am doing an offline right now in SD for my 2 perf feature. I had direct to disk SD files. My plan is to take the flats and EDL and telecine flat to HDCAM-SR. Then, I was going to import the SR footage through my IoHD into my macbook pro set up and caldigit SVR2 via pro res HQ (for blu ray screeners with basic grading) and tidy up the cut. When it's time to finish, I would then do a conform.

Is there a more cost efficient way of skinning this cat? Does the IoHD do acceleration?

Thanks!

#2 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:57 AM

Hey Mike,

There are so many work flow benefits to getting an SD copy of your footage first, as you've done. From a budgetary standpoint you can cut the work together and test it in front of dependable groups to decide if it is worth going with a more expensive, higher res version to conform to the SD version. It's almost impossible to get real, objective perspective on your own creation once you're immersed in it. And, frankly, at the zero-low budg level it's all too easy to make a creation that just doesn't quite have the magic. I'm not implying anything about your production. But, since it does happen, SD offers you a good chance to screen what you have and make some informed decisions about your output investment (it also gives you a chance to recut the work print if fixes are available). Worst case: If it's a stinker, leave it in SD and traffic smaller film festivals. Best case: If it's a gem and gets some chance for distribution go all the way for high res film output. The great thing about cutting a cheaper SD version of a gem is that it is the most powerful tool you have to get financing for a high res jump-up and then on to wooing distributors.

Opal

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies