3 replies to this topic

#1 Jamie Lewis

Jamie Lewis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:13 PM

I searched but found no figures. Has anybody gotten insurance when they're renting a 16mm camera (for a short project)? All of the houses linked here require it. If so, what was the price (ballpark)? Was it for the camera only or for the typical whole short production? Where did you purchase it? How long was the policy for?

Thanks in advance!

#2 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:25 PM

Ballpark is about 700-1000 bucks for 10=15 days production (can usually be split into weekends only, or certain days only, and can be switched if you call the place in advance, shuold a location drop out or any other unforseen problems).

At that level its not really a matter of getting insurance that fits exactly what you want to do, but more to fit the companies minimum bill order, and most places are around 700 bucks minimum. Good news is for that price you can probably get the camera, a rider for all G&E and maybe even an umbrella policy to cover crew and/or location liability. Talk to your broker about coverage to make sure you know what your getting.

I went through film emporium on the last few films (I think I did anyway, the last few I just recomended them to the producer) and they were helpful. It seems (as is the case with all insurance) that the underwritters of the policy are not the ones who issue the policy, and those that underwrite are few and base their prices off standard risk formulas with standard data sets of past events. bottom line, most every place you go to will have a premium within 2-5% of the other, the only thing changing is the broker fee. Look for a low broker fee on your policy and your probably getting the best rate. Film emporium I think charged somewhere around $55 broker fee on a $900 premium, to give you some idea (this was the one and only film that I ever even saw the invoice. Usually getting insurance isn't really my department, so I don't even ask to see invoices.)

Hope that helps.

#3 Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:08 PM

I was looking the other day and got similar results. I rent relatively inexpensive camera gear, and I also require renters to provide their own insurance- as my insurance carrier suggests I do.

To find out what my customers are faced with, I got a quote of between $600 and 700 from Film Emporium. That included $25K (can be increased, of course) in equipment insurance plus general liability for I believe 1 to 12 days of production. Not bad, especially since you get the liability converage you'll need to get permits anyway.

If you're a student, check to see if your school will help you here. I found that film schools here often provide insurance certificates for their student's productions at no additional cost.

Just yesterday heard of one other possibility. Apparently www.photo.net (http://photo.net/learn/insurance) has a deal worked out with an insurance carrier. A membership costs $25, then you can buy liability coverage at $175 a year, and the coverages are generous- a 2 million umbrella I believe. The sticky bit is they insure your own equipment at $1 per $100 ($150, $15k equipment minimum), but there is no mention of rented equipment. I'm going to contact them to see if they offer coverage for rented gear because their prices are pretty amazing-- if you had $25k in gear you could get a year's worth of liability and equipment coverage for $450. Oh, and the deductible is $250. All commmercial policies I have seen these days have a $2500 deductible.

Hope this helps,

Bruce Taylor

#4 Jamie Lewis

Jamie Lewis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking of shooting a short on 16mm and maybe renting the A-Minima but since the insurance is pretty substantial for a short no-budget short by a broke college student, I'll have to re-think it. Does anybody know of any houses that don't require insurance? I'm on the east coast. Or should I just pony up the money I would spend on on insurance and the rental and purchase a 16mm?

The short I'm gonna do will probably run about 12 minutes. So not terribly long. It's the fact that I've been getting annoyed with the limitations of video and want to give 16mm a try. 8mm is also an option but the look of it is not what I'm envisioning the short to be.

Edited by Jamie Lewis, 14 June 2008 - 06:37 PM.

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

CineTape

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc